Clear All
  • jgrobler
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Salinas, CA, USA.
    • TS3650

Which pen bushings

Hi all pen turners,
    I got the crazy idea to try turning some pens the last time I was in a Woodcraft store. Sadly I could not find a way to figure out which size bushings goes with which pen kit. I know when I get a mandrel it usually comes with a set of bushings, I guess typically for a slimline kit, but when about the next kit if that's not the same type? They've got so many pen kits, and almost as many bushings, and nowhere on the net could I see how they go together. The numbering scheme doesn't make sense, I don't see a size indicator on the packaging for either the kit or the bushing, and at Woodcraft, their pen turner wasn't available to help.

Also, from the woodturnerscatalog it seems their one mandrel only accept bushings from the same manufacturer, while another will accept any bushings they offer, but they (and Woodcraft and PennState) don't mention whether their mandrels will accept bushings from other retailers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to take my calipers with me.

Thanks,

Johan
    Last edited by jgrobler; 01-16-2009, 08:08 PM.
  • Habe
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

On the Woodcraft web site there is a chart that will list what kits use what bushing set. You may have to dig around a bit to find it. It was located in the articales section. Do a search for pen kit chart. You should print it out for future reference. It uses the woodcraft part numbers so will only work for their kits and bushings.
    Habe

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

The same chart is also printed in the WC catalog... Woodcraft mainly sells Berea kits, although they name them differently. Go to the Berea website for build sheets, although most are also on the WC website. Look for the "Instructions" tab in the online listing for each kit.

There is also much info to be had about most every kit on the penturners.org website.
      Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 01-16-2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

ON Woodcrafts website - when you click on the pen that you have, - up under the pen is a tab labeled "Information"; Click on that and the last item in the paragraph of information is the bushing number for that pen.

Mandrel sizes: There are 2 diameter sizes - "A" and "B" mandrel.

"A" mandrel is for 7 mm, and most pens or bushings are made around this. "A" mandrel has a reputation for flexing during turning due to 1. being too long for its thin size, 2. too much scraper/skew pressure from turners, 3. too tight on the tail stock, 4. larger pens and large blanks put more pressure on the mandrel than the "A" mandrel could handle without considerable experience. Of course most all of this can be overcome by an experienced turner, but "getting there" requires considerable direct focus on techniques - rather than on the pen turning (making a pen) itself.

"B" Mandrel: Because of the above problems, the "B" mandrel was introduced to handle larger pen blanks and solve some of the other problems associated with the thinner mandrel.

7 MM mandrel sizes between vendors: Some people say there are variances in them between vendors such as - Berea's might be .001 / .0015 different than PSI's. This does make for a little problem in some cases but for most people, they don't have a problem with it. I personally haven't noticed a problem with the different bushings on different vendor's mandrels.

There is one other method - that does not use mandrels, but you only do one blank at a time. It eliminates the problems with the mandrels all together - called Mandrel-less, No Mandrel or Turning Between Centers.
        Last edited by leehljp; 01-17-2009, 05:50 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Here is a link to the Woodcraft bushing listing.
          www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1609

I have used bushings from various companies on a Woodcraft mandrel without any problems.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Johan

You also need know that each type of kit requires a different drill bit or 2 drill bits to drill the blanks for the tubes. You are now on the slippery slope of pen turning. I love doing it and will have a nice selection of pen to sell when the economy improves.

Just recently I have started turning with out the mandrel or center to center and found it improved my pen turning. I also found that I don't have to do as much sanding especially on the wooden blanks. The reason is I don't get the vibration using the center to center method so the blank is smoother when I finish turning. This is on wooden pen blanks I finish with the skew and start applying a finish after cleaning off the blank. My method is to round off the blanks using a mandrel and change to the center to center method to finish the turning. I have to do a little more sanding on the "plastic" blanks but I still get a better finish.

The next big step for me will be to stop using bushing and turn center to center using clipers and micrometers to turn the blank to the proper diameter.

Go over to www.penturner.org and you will get all the information you will need. You can also go to the classified section and buy blanks and other accessories from the members. I have a nice selection of wood blanks and "plastice/resin blanks from the IAP members.

You will find that IAP is as friendly as this site as many of us here are member of that site also.

Comment

• jgrobler
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Salinas, CA, USA.
              • TS3650

Thanks for the input. After some searching on woodcraft's site, I pulled up the online catalog, and found the reference table there. Now I've got some kits and a mandrel set on the way. And my wife is also interested in turning pens, so I don't know if I'll be able to keep the lathe - may just have to buy another one

Comment

Working...