• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Finally!

After several weeks and many trials, tribulation, bad words and rethinking I finally finished my thread cutting jig. Its capacity as designed is at 4” and I can’t imagine why I would want to go higher than that. It locks down very stable and seems to function rather well. I just received the cutter today via UPS so I hope to get time tomorrow to give it a good test run. As promised I recorded everything so as soon as I can pull it all together I will post what I did and the plans.

• Chuck C
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • USA.

It looks awesome ken, can't wait till we see the plans. What a talent you have.

Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Really looking forward to some threads and those instructions! My wife wants a box with a threaded lid...

Gerd

Comment

• boblon
        • Aug 2003
        • Florida, USA.

Looks great. Can't wait to hear about the first run.

Love those wooden knobs.

BobL.
        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Mort
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Ellenton, FL - winter, USA.

Congratulations, if it had been me, I would have bought Bonnie Klines thread cutter and called it good.
          Even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time.

Comment

• Denco
            • Mar 2003
            • Coming soon: California
            • BT3100

The device looks really cool. Good craftsmanship.

This may sound really ignorant, but what, exactly, does the jig thread? How is it used? Very interested after seeing the pictures.
            Again, the craftsmanship is fantastic.--Den
            *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well Denco, what is does it to cut the threads into turned boxes and make them screw on versus pressure fit. Thanks for the complement and if I ever get the article finished on it I will show you how I made it and how it works!

Comment

• KomaToast
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Fort Worth, Texas, USA.

That looks too good to be a jig, looks more like a finished project.

I've been staring at it for a while trying to figure out just how it works.
                It looks as though there's a 1" x 8 thread on the left for a chuck to fit onto.
                Is the thread cutting bit turned by the lathe and the wood held in a chuck and rotated & moved along by the threaded rod?

Keith

http://BT3000.com

http://TinyURL.com/Chene

Comment

Working...