• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Finally got to test out the upgrade.

Got some time today to test out the new motor in action. Did a 3” Maple box and used a 2-3/8” bit to start the hollowing. Motor never even slowed down just cut like butter. Nice not having to pull on that lever all the time. I guess my big problem is that I change speeds so much that it is just so much more convenient to turn a knob.

Anyhow this is what I made today. This is Hard Maple with a Blackwood finial.

This is Granadillo with a Lemon Wood finial.

• boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

Beautiful KWGeorge. The finish on the second one looks exceptional. You must have a fine touch with a chisel judging by some of the finials.

Nice work,
    BobL.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Amazing George. I am glad it worked out so well. I might have to hire you to design Jet mini retro fits to convert them to VS. I can get used Jet Mini Standards for $150 each. $100 bucks to upgrade the motor a variable pot and a switch? Sell 'em for $250 all day long. Hmmm...
      Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• sdmaker
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • St. louis, MI, USA.

Thought I seen the bright light at the end of the tunnel when I looked at this post, then I realized it was just a reflection off the second turning. Wow ken think thats the best finish I have seen yet. I wish I could come watch your finishing techniques!!
        Dave in Michigan
        http://community.webshots.com/user/sdmaker

http://photobucket.com/albums/v166/sdmaker/

Comment

• rja
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Once again your work is really spectacular. Thanks for sharing. I also appreciated seeing your tutorial on the variable speed motor. I have one question - did you consider using a variable frequency drive control that takes 220v single phase input and feeds three phase 220v (or 208v) to a three phase motor while also controlling its speed? I may be interested in upgrading my shop-made wood lathe and would appreciate any advice you may have on dc variable control versus ac variable frequncy control. Thank you.

Comment

• kwgeorge
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Alvin, TX, USA.

Yes I did RJA and it was cost prohibitive. I spent about $300 for this upgrade and love it. The controller has a torque compensator circuit and will run from 0 RPM to max. The motor has no vibration and stays very cool. I can supply you with a link for the controller and a DC PM motor can be picked up pretty cheap on eBay.

Comment

• rja
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
              • BT3100-1

KW: Yes I would like to see any links to the controller and/or motor you obtained for your upgrade. My lathe is full-sized and I was thinking about 1 hp would be sufficient for the turnings I contemplate - spindles, handles, bowls not exceeding about 9 to 12 inch diameter. (It now has a 1/2 hp motor which seems barely adequate). Thanks again.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

When I get home I will post my sources rja.

Comment

• monte
                  Forum Windbag
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                  • GI 50-185M

Beautiful!
                  Monte (another darksider)
                  Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

Working...