• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

2 Sierras

Finished a couple of Sierras today. one is a Titanium Gold Button Click with a rattle snake blank. It is a little proud of the nib but I didn't want to chance blowing it up. The other is a new kit from Brea Hardwoods. A Elegant Beauty in Black Titanium and Platanum with a blank form Mazzucchelli of Italy, originaly made for the Shaffer Pen company. I tried some thing different with these. I used no Sandpaper or MM, just tripple E polishing paste, some Dupont Automotive Polishing Compound and Hut Ultra Gloss Plastic Polish followed with a coat of Johnsons Paste wax. I did use a little sandpaper to break the edge of the Rattle Snake blank where it met the nib. It is a fast way to finish plastic. The Mazzucchelli is a bear to drill as it has a low melting point. I did it in 3 stages 7mm, 3/8" and finialy 27/64 using water as a cooling agent. I haven't played with the camer for a while so the quality is not what I want. I will be photographing all me pen this weekend so the quality will get better. Click on the pictures to get a larger view.

Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TB Roye; 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM.
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Very nice, I really like the Elegant Beauty. They are a very nice kit.
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

Hey Tom, what did you use to turn them? skew or scrapper? Or scrapping with the skew (as I do)?
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Mike

I used a PSI 1/2 " scew(not HSS) in the scraping mode. I like it because tool is rectangular in profile so it lays flat on the tool rest. I use that and my Spindle Master the most on the plastic. I have one of the shapening disks from PSI on the Headstock so I can sharpen the Skew as need. I have some HSS tools, Spindle gouge, Oval Skew, Parting tools but I find I am much more comfortable with the PSI Skew and I do use it in the Bevel Rubbing mode also. On those 2 pens I found that I could get rid of all the scratches using EEE and the Auto Polishing compund (White) and the Hut polish. The EEE does an excellent job on the big scratches and faster too.

Put me down for a few pieces of Bog Oak when it comes.

Grant

I too like the Elegant Beauty Kit and at $10 intro price I am going to order some more from Brea. The Sierras are an easy kit to do along with the Atlas style kit. The single Blank kits are good when you just want to do a quick one to relax. The Cigars and other lager kit a good if you have the time to work with them so everything fits. I did the Elegant beauty in about 1 hour last night before bed.

Tom
        Last edited by TB Roye; 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Very nice Tom. I really like that Elegant Beauty kit.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...