Pacificas and Slims

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 3152
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

    #1

    Pacificas and Slims

    I tried my hand at Acrylics this Weekend, and figured them out after losing 3 blanks.

    Alien, Caribbean Cruise, Gecko, Hawaiian Blue, and Pineapple from Wood Pen Pro on various two-toned Pacificas.

    Two Spaulted Irish Beech with Acrylic Centerbands on Modified Chrome Slims.

    And two home brewed PR blanks that you might be seeing on a pen soon. Raspberry Cream and Arbor Mist.
    Attached Files
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 2969
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

    #2
    I got some nice wood late last week and made up blanks for the sierra/pacificas and some I ordered from AS. Will take pictures and post them. Those are nice looking pens, I like the acrylics they have some nice colors. I have reall become a fan of the Sierra style pen and my new personal pen is a sierra button click pen I assemble today with a blank Bill sent me with my AS order. Need to find some good gold pen kits to use I can't afford all the Ti gold kits at least untill I sell some of the one I have.

    Tom

    Comment

    • Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • 7091
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

      #3
      Many of the folks I give my pens to are choosing the ones I have made with the Pacifica Turtle kits. It's so popular that I may have to order some more kits. I've got a lot of really weird Hawaiian blanks, so I think I'll make an "Island Collection".

      Comment

      • gad5264
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • 1407
        • Columbus, Ohio, USA
        • BT3000/BT3100NIB

        #4
        Nice turnings Mike, I like the Hawaiian blue. It looks like a satelite photo of the ocean when first looking at it.
        Grant
        "GO Buckeyes"

        My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

        Comment

        • Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 3152
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

          #5
          These were fun once I learned how to drill them without blowing out the ends every time. I'm used to cutting blanks just oversized and then drilling, so now I've switched orders and drill before cutting to length. Not a single blowout since I started doing this.

          I'm not a fan of Gold kits. They only look good with certain colors of woods/blanks and so I only make them by request (presold) usually. Silver goes with everything so I stick with Chrome for the most part. Cheap, durable and nice looking.

          UC - when you get more turtles, get some of the Caribbean Cruise blanks. It's such a nice combo I think.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

          If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

          Comment

          • Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • 7091
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

            #6
            Originally posted by Russianwolf
            These were fun once I learned how to drill them without blowing out the ends every time. I'm used to cutting blanks just oversized and then drilling, so now I've switched orders and drill before cutting to length. Not a single blowout since I started doing this.
            That's pretty much the ticket with acrylic blanks. Fortunately, you can still get two pens from one blank, but there's not much room for error. I have to stop the drilling just as the bit reaches the far end.

            UC - when you get more turtles, get some of the Caribbean Cruise blanks. It's such a nice combo I think.
            I'll try that. Thanks!

            Comment

            • Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • 3281
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

              #7
              Great work, as always Mike.
              I have been turning acrylics for some time now and have never had a blow out when drilling them. I have though always used a scrap of wood under the blank. A few months ago I got one of Rockler's drilling vises and it has a sacrificial insert in the base, love it.
              Last edited by Whaler; 07-16-2008, 12:10 PM.
              Dick

              http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

              Comment

              • Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • 3152
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

                #8
                Thanks Dick, but I've swirched over to drilling on the lathe exclusively with a chuck. What I figured out this week end was to mark my bit with the depth I needed. Drill to the depth, then go to the saw and cut the blank to that length. No blow outs.

                On the Acrylic, I cut them a bit long so that the hole doesn't quite go all the way through, then I pour paint into the whole and pour it back out to ensure 100% coverage. Then trim the last bit away once it's dry.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

                If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                Comment

                • TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 2969
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

                  #9
                  Dick

                  Like that vise/press to bad I already have a vice and press would be hard to explain to LOML why I need a different one.

                  Mike

                  Thanks for the two tips in you reply about drilling plastic and the paint, what type of paint do you use?

                  Tom

                  Comment

                  • Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3152
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

                    #10
                    I'm still playing with paint types. The ones above were with Gloss White Enamel. It was a can of Farm Implement Paint that I used on my truck, got it from Tractor Supply. It didn't dry very fast. In fact it was still tacky when I glued the tubes in.

                    I have some Latex household paints that I'm going to try also. Then for the Gecko I want to find some Neon Green paint and see if I can get the color to hold a little better. The blanks look so cool before you drill and turn them.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

                    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • 7091
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

                      #11
                      Mike, some folks I read advise against latex. Most think enamel is a good solution. I have used Krylon for a while, with no problems.

                      Comment

                      • ragswl4
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 1559
                        • Winchester, Ca
                        • C-Man 22114

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Russianwolf
                        I tried my hand at Acrylics this Weekend, and figured them out after losing 3 blanks.

                        Alien, Caribbean Cruise, Gecko, Hawaiian Blue, and Pineapple from Wood Pen Pro on various two-toned Pacificas.

                        Two Spaulted Irish Beech with Acrylic Centerbands on Modified Chrome Slims.

                        And two home brewed PR blanks that you might be seeing on a pen soon. Raspberry Cream and Arbor Mist.
                        All very nice pens. I envy you guys and gals that are turning pens. Someday I'll have the time to get back to it. It will be like a whole new experience for me. Keep posting those pens and stuff, great inspiration!
                        RAGS
                        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        Working...