• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulstenlund
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Puget Island, Wa.

friction cure sanding sealer

I've been reading several of the well known turners and they use a "friction cure sanding sealer" before finishing pens. Does anyone know of a brand name that will cure from friction?

Paul
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

I have used the thin CA glue has a sanding sealer. I don't know a friction cure sealer. I know Bill for Arizona Silhouette use CA as a sealer on his Video. In the vido he sands like 320 and then use CA an 400 and make a slurrey to finsh filling the grain and sealing the wood then he use MM to 12000 for the rest. There are many variation on the theme check out the finishing forum on IAP and see what they also check their Library(spelling) as there are many articles there and videos. I have evern use Polycrylic to finsh one pen

Tom

Comment

• jmt19
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2004

Maybe this ?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSWAX.html

Comment

• guycox
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Romulak, VA, USA.

I've used friction cured sanding sealer with pretty good results. It was some red oak that had some pretty open pores. I'm pretty sure it was some Cabot's sanding sealer.

As I recall there are a couple of carriers (solvents) for the sanding sealer, I used one that had an alcohol base, so it wasn't all that different from using a friction polish. I used two coats since the friction pulled some of the sealer out of the pores but with second coat acted just like shellac and dissolved some of the 1st.

If you wanted to experiment, and don't want the irritation from CA, try some shellac with some sanding dust in it... If I wasn't going to the Symposium in Richmond in the mornin, I'd give it a try.
        Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
        What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

Working...