• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Tried some new kits today

Here is a Woodcraft satin gold Euro Deco with Redwood Burl and a satin nickel Euro Deco with Turquoise acrylic.
    Last edited by Whaler; 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

I like to looks of the clip on that kit a lot, too bad I won't touch a Euro anymore (They don't like me)

Great looking pens Dick.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Dick those look quite nice. I have not tried this kit as of yet. If I try to do one of these in the future, what should I be looking for? Mike said he (or the kit) does not like them/him, so I was just wondering.
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by gad5264
        Dick those look quite nice. I have not tried this kit as of yet. If I try to do one of these in the future, what should I be looking for? Mike said he (or the kit) does not like them/him, so I was just wondering.
        I've done several Euro kits, and just can't satisfy myself on the shape I get. It's just a personal taste thing. So I've stopped trying. I do make some slimlines that look very much like a Euro but no round-top.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I also think it's a shaping thing. Something about getting the proportions coordinated between the top and bottom pieces. Some folks don't like cutting the tenon, but I've not really had problems with that. Since it's all on 7mm tubes, using dense woods can also make for a pretty heavy pen.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Dick

Nice pens I like the Redwood Burl. I got kind of burned out on the Euro Pens, I did so many at Christmas for presents. My biggest problem was finding the right blank for the Satin hardware. I have about 10 kits in my inventory that haven't been built. Recently It's been more the big kits, cigar, fountain, and rollerball. I did my first Burl pen the other day and will post a picture this weekend, love the look of the Burl. Been expirementing with different finishes, like Blo/CA, straight CA, Polycrylic and I am learning more each day. Told LOML I was bring the Lathe into my Den as the house has A/C and the temps will be over 100 this weekend. Got the look and dropped the Idea.

Tom

Tom

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by TB Roye
              Got the look and dropped the Idea.
              The "look" you get now is a heckuva lot better than the one you'll get if your A/C spreads that ultra-fine dust around the house...

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

The Borg has a window A/c on sale for $99 that would fit in one of the windows in the shop. Trying to decide on that or one those special they have on the Ryobi tools where you buy one set and then get another for free. The shop is small 10x12 and insulated so it would be nice. Hot Sacramento summer afternoons are no fun. Forgot about the dust problem that would have gotten more than the look probably something upside the head.

Tom

Comment

Working...