• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

Another pen

This is pen #4. Another slim line, so I'm sorry to bore you but I thought this turned (ha punny) out pretty good. I feel like i'm getting the basics down ok, so I'm gonna work my way through the rest of my slim line pen kits before I branch out. On this one, I had a bit of a challenge with my skew. Got a little ahead of myself, and had to go back and even things out with the gouge of all things. Tried the skew one last time and felt good, but had to be real careful with sanding as I was getting to the point of no material left.

my wife fixed my picture, cause she didn't want me presenting it on a napkin She takes good care of me.
    Attached Files
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

looks good.

How are you using the skew? Long point on top or bottom?

Do you have bushings from any other kits yet? If so, I'll help you start modifying the "lowly" slimline.

Actually one easy mod is to drill the blank in one shot (the entire 5 inches) then only glue in one tube, Put the second tube in without glue and them set it up on your mandrel and bushings. Turn it how you like (You be able to to make a fuller body without the thin "waist" if you want). After you finish, pull the loose tube back out. Assemble the clip and finial in the glued tube end, then assemble the tranny and nib on the non-glued tube. Insert the non-glued tube and you'll wind up with a solid pen that you open and close by twisting the nib.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Very clean and cool, just like an office slimline should be - well done!

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• bfrikken
        • Apr 2005
        • Michigan, USA.
        • BT-3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf
        looks good.

How are you using the skew? Long point on top or bottom?

Hrm, I'm not sure if this will make sense, but if I'm working left to right, the long point is on the the left side, so up? then I sort of plane across the piece. Then I flip on the way back.

Do you have bushings from any other kits yet? If so, I'll help you start modifying the "lowly" slimline.
        No, not yet, I'm looking over possible other pens to do next. I like the Jr Gentlemen's II, Gentlemens, cigar style, and am still learning names of others. Have any suggestions? I was trying to figure out what other styles may use the same bushings, so I could maybe get a couple differnt styles from one set of bushings.

Actually one easy mod is to drill the blank in one shot (the entire 5 inches)
        I'm not sure how I would be able to drill the entire 5 inches? Would I drill through, then flip the piece over?
        then only glue in one tube, Put the second tube in without glue and them set it up on your mandrel and bushings. Turn it how you like (You be able to to make a fuller body without the thin "waist" if you want). After you finish, pull the loose tube back out. Assemble the clip and finial in the glued tube end, then assemble the tranny and nib on the non-glued tube. Insert the non-glued tube and you'll wind up with a solid pen that you open and close by twisting the nib.
        this sounds cool, i'd like to figure out how to drill that to attempt it.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

A nice clean look, good job.

You my want to try the Atlas kits from Woodcraft or Polaris from PSI. I like the fact that they are a one piece pen and you are not restricted in design by a center band.
          www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5848
          Last edited by Whaler; 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Welcome to another place to pour your money into. Your pen looks real nice. Like Mike said you can do a lot with slimlines. I have a long 7mm bit so I am going to try a one piece slimline later today. Save the cutoffs from your blanks especially the plastic ones you can use them to embelish other pens. Get the "Pen Turners Workbook" by Barry Gross He goes over a lot of techniques for making pens. I have graduated to roller balls and fountain pen and now I am getting ready to go to the more expensive kits. Watch it though, yesterday I started on Bottle Stoppers as I got bored with pens. A neighbor Lady is a Mary Kay Rep and wants me to make some Pink Acrylic/Satin Nickel pens for her to give to her helpers. So I worked up a proposal on 3 different styles of pen and their cost for her. The Neighborhood Watch committe is have a Garage sale in August and I plan on trying to sell some of the Pens and see If I can pay for this addiction. Have fun, it is a form of instant gratification. LOML now has 10 pens, I still use a plastic advertising pen from work.

Tom

Comment

• bfrikken
              • Apr 2005
              • Michigan, USA.
              • BT-3100

Yeah, I wouldn't mind selling a few of these pens eventually. I'm building up some gift inventory. Had a neighbor already request a few too.

But, need to get them to "production" quality

I'm waiting for a local guy to put his various turning stuff on sale. He was thinking of selling a few different chuck options he had. If one is in my price range (cheap) I may jump at it and broaden my turning.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by bfrikken
                Hrm, I'm not sure if this will make sense, but if I'm working left to right, the long point is on the the left side, so up? then I sort of plane across the piece. Then I flip on the way back.
                okay, try this. Point the long point on the bottom, so that edge is riding the rest. This points the short point on top and it's a bit easier to avoid catches.

No, not yet, I'm looking over possible other pens to do next. I like the Jr Gentlemen's II, Gentlemens, cigar style, and am still learning names of others. Have any suggestions? I was trying to figure out what other styles may use the same bushings, so I could maybe get a couple differnt styles from one set of bushings.
                I'd favor the Cigar as it's a nice easy kit that shows the wood nicely and has a nice heft to it. There is a style out that is the same as the slim, but has a larger centerband (and larger center bushings) called variously a Comfort Grip, Father Sing, and likely something else. You can do it yourself and make your own centerband out of scrap material.

The reason I was asking what bushings you have is that you could use the nib bushing of a cigar pen as the center bushing of the upper slim barrel. This will make the slim have a very different appearance similar to a European/Designer pen. Some kits you can't mix and match bushings, but the slim is very open to creativity.

I'm not sure how I would be able to drill the entire 5 inches? Would I drill through, then flip the piece over?
                long drill bit. Don't flip it as it'll never line up right. Youmay have to adjust your drill press several times to get the full depth. I have one on the lathe that the blank is about 1/4 inch longer than my bit, in the past I trimmed that portion off, but this time I'm using a diferent set-up and I'm going for a closed end design.

this sounds cool, i'd like to figure out how to drill that to attempt it.
                Like I said, this is one of the simplest modifications for the slim. But it gives it a totally different look.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Russianwolf; 05-13-2008, 02:39 PM.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...