X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008

Sharpening Turning Tools

Alright, so I have been turning for a couple of weeks and really enjoy it, but unless the tools are very sharp it can be extremely difficult and frustrating. I want my tools to be sharp and I spent about 80 bucks on a slow speed grinder by Shop Fox, but I dont really wanna spend the other 120 or so on a sharpening jig, like the Oneway Wolverine. So other than a lot of practice and doing it by freehand, how would you guys recommend a beginner turner to sharpen his tools? Thanks!
  • eazis1
    Handtools only
    • Dec 2007

sharpening

i did the same.i bit the bullet and bought the wolverine from Hartville 15%menton woodnet member and get free shipping also. Now i got to go buy a new grinder, burt mine out

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Jack1064
      So other than a lot of practice and doing it by freehand, how would you guys recommend a beginner turner to sharpen his tools?
      You've sort of answered your own question there, Jack! If you're going to do it freehand, it will take loads of practice - during which you could make some mistakes that will take hours to put right.

The problem is that there are a number of different - and differing - reasons to use a variety of bevel profiles on, say, bowl gouges, whereas roughing gouges and skew chisel bevels are pretty constant across their cutting edge.

A sharpening jig is the easiest (and most popular) way to get consistent and repeatable results from sharpening, but by-hand grinding can be as good and is more rewarding once you get it right. The trick is getting it right!

I'd start with a large, inexpensive roughing gouge, given that it needs a 45° bevel across the entire face. Have cold water to dip the tool in regularly, only sharpen for a small amount of time before checking the edge (to avoid blueing the steel) and keep the rolling action as constant as possible and perpendicular to the wheel.

Maybe others can suggest a good book or video - perhaps your library will have something?

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
        • Delta Contractor Saw

If you're dead set on not buying a jig, there are ways that you can build them. After screwing up a chisel that cost more than the jig, I opted to suck it up and just bought it. Your library should have some books that cover all aspects of turning. I have the Turning Wood by Richard Raffan that has the layout for some pretty good jigs and he also covers doing it by hand.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Best thing I can tell you is to get HSS (High Speed Steel) tools, which will hold an edge much longer than carbon steel, and you can then use a diamond hone to dress the edges several times before you have to sharpen. This will let you spend more time at the lathe than at the grinder. HSS tools will also be less prone to burn, or "blue", on the grinder. A Tormek or Jet sharpener are ultimately the best way to go, but are gonna set you back righteous bucks, so a beefy grinder (preferably a low-speed or 2-speed one) with a white wheel are the best choices. Get one with a good adjustable tool rest, and put it in a stable location. Use it right, and keep the wheel dressed and purty. Then, it's just like Carnegie Hall... practice, practice, practice. There are home-made jigs you can make, but it's tough to top the Wolverine if you're serious.

Want a good book? Try "The Complete Guide to Sharpening" by Leonard Lee.

Comment

• DonHo
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Shawnee, OK, USA.
            • Craftsman 21829

You are SO right about sharp tools. I tried lots of methods of sharpening, even made a "shop made" version of the wolverine (there are plans on the net). The shop made jig helped but I still had problems with bowl gouges. I also finally bought the wolverine jig when Hartville had a sale and it works great and turning is a lot easier and more fun with sharp tools. If I had known before I bought the wolverine jig I would have looked into the jig from PSI, looks a lot like the wolverine but cost much less.

Good luck,
            DonHo
            Don

Comment

Working...