• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Two new vises- which one is best?

OK, so I'm looking to get my first pen makers vise, and I thought I was definitely going to get me the new General model that Woodcraft has been carrying. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20440

However, Rockler also has a new model in the fray. Now they work on different mechanisms, but one reason I like the Rockler version is because you can use it as a pen press as well, and it has a space where you can build a drawer for bit storage, which is something I could use...
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...ter=pen%20vise

What say you all? Has anyone had experience with the Rockler vise?
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

I don't have either vice but if you need a pen press also, i'd go with the rockler. I don't put much value on the drawer space but the fact it serves a duel purpose would be worth the extra $1o bucks for me. I also think I the percise control of the handwheel might be of some value when using as a pen press. OTH the lever control on the woodcraft version would be faster when using as a vice.
    Just my 2 cents,
    DonHo
    Don

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
      • Nov 2004
      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
      • Delta Contractor Saw

I did what Tom Hintz posted that he did. I just use a regular drill press vice that I already had and drilled a 1/4" hole vertically down through the hard wood spacers on the vice faces. Pretty much self squaring and heavy enough that I rarely have to clamp it down unless I'm drilling in Dymondwood.

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

I haven't seen the Rockler vice yet but I have the Woodcraft one. The Woodcraft vice is easy to use with the toggle lock. I haven't used it enough yet to say for sure but if you are drilling different sized blanks the adjustment for the toggle lock length may be a bit slow.
        The Rockler looks like it will take larger blanks, I haven't tried a wine stopper blank in the Woodcraft yet.
        Don't think you could go wrong with either one of them.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

The biggest concern I have with the Rockler is the same concern I'd have for any similar designed model- I'm worried the treads will get mucked up and make using the vise difficult.... It it does seem like a well-designed vise for what it is... I'll have to take a look and the General and see how it works/ how sturdy it seems.

Comment

Working...