• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well Hank told me!

First off Merry Christmas to everyone. Second as Hank pointed out in another thread I have not posted any of my stuff in awhile but I have just been real busy for awhile now and have had to travel quite a bit but I thought I would post something today.

Little bit of a story here as my 22 year old son came into town Sunday night to spend Christmas with us. With that he had hopes of spending some time in my shop making his girlfriend a Christmas present. He originally thought he was going to spend Christmas eve with me making a jewelry box but I had to tell him there was no way we were going to make one and finish it before Christmas! With that I had seen at one of the antique places we frequent several years ago a Ring holder made from glass in the 20’s that I subsequently reproduced on the lathe out of Olive for the wife. I thought this design would be the ticket to solve his current problem and the wife really likes hers and uses it daily.

The plan was that I was to make one on one of the lathes and have him watch each step in the process. As I finished a step he would mimic that process on the other lathe. So here is the end results for me;
    We chose Black Walnut and used Deft Satin for the finish. (Easier for him to get results than a high gloss)

Inside view, typically my wife puts her earrings in the bowl section and her rings on the post at night. Sorry about the flash back in the photo.

And of course the job is not done till the bottom is done.

Picture of both finished ring holders, we made his with a smaller post as his girlfriend is a little bitty thing and of course he HAD to embellish his!

Anyway it was fun and he had a really good time. He was very proud of his work and I hope she likes it.

Thanks for having a look.

Ken
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

That's a wonderful story, Ken! No offense, but I like his better.

JR
    JR

Comment

• Larryl
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Lorena, TX, USA.
      • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Merry Christmas, I'm sure his girlfriend was thrilled with something he made just for her! Afraid that I have to agree with J.R. though, I believe I like his better.
      I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I hope this turned out for the best, I can see an issue with giving a RING holder on Christmas, if he isn't ready....
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Those looks great, Ken. Good idea too! Everything you make and post is a work of art. So is your son's. Glad that you had a great Christmas with him.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

Ken, Welcome back I have missed your your postings.
            You both did a great job on those.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...