• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

Anyone have a Grizzly?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new lathe. I'm looking at the two $375 model grizzlies. Actually the one with the rpm guage as it also has a 1x8tpi which matches the tooling I already have (The G0462 I think).

Anyone have one of these and can give a recommendation?
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

well, after looking for info, the only complaint against it was the speed range. but since I'm not into BIG bowls, I should be fine. Bang. Now to see when it'll come in.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Mrk67mark
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2006
      • Ocean Springs, MS
      • Grizzly G0478 hybrid

If you can, I'd love to hear a review of this lathe. This is the same one I've been looking at. Thanks.
      Mark

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

I've scheduled pick up from UPS freight on Thursday........... And I'm off from Saturday through the 2nd of January (do have to come in to do payroll on the 27th). I think It's about time to play.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by Russianwolf
          I think It's about time to play.
          And that 4-foot deep pile of shavings around you will help you stay warm...

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Happy? Yes and No.

Got it home and put together:

Came in two boxes. One with the legs and the other with everythng else. Assembly was 8 screws to attach the legs. Took about 10 minutes by myself.

Quickly set it up with a spindle and turned it nice and round. I love the speed control even if the speed range isn't optimal.

decided to try turning a piece of fresh cut Willow on my chuck. Part of the reason I went with this model was the 1x8 TPI which matched my little PSI Tunrcrafter Pro. My chuck went on and had this little cup turning in no time. I stopped the lathe after doing a little sanding to check my progress. Turned it back on and it won't get up to 200 rpms now

The motor is very hot and the lights dim everytime I flip the switch. I'm going to let it cool off and try again later. I will be pissed if the motor is dead inside of 15 minutes of turning. I can turn it by hand without a problem so the bearings seem fine and it doesn't seem to be binding.

Anyone have an experience like this before?
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

With all of your time off and motor seeming questionable, this sound like a bummer. Let us know what's going on.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Now the motor isn't turning at all. I have an email into the customer service. They better be able to send a fresh motor, as I'm not boxing this thing back up to return it except for a full refund.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

new headstock will be shipped as soon as they can locate one. but they don't have any in the warehouse in Penn.

Likely won't be turning till the new year.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

Comment

• eezlock
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Charlotte,N.C.
                    • BT3100

anyone have a Grizzly?

Russianwolf, I don't have one of their lathes, but it is ironic that my wife and I were just discussing that very topic and looking their lathes as well. I have decided to get one after Christmas....really like the GO624 it would really suit my needs. If you get one of their lathes, let us know about it and write a review of the pro's and con's of it. Good luck with your decision...eezlock

ps. now, my wife has expressed an interest in learning to turn....

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by eezlock
                      Russianwolf, I don't have one of their lathes, but it is ironic that my wife and I were just discussing that very topic and looking their lathes as well. I have decided to get one after Christmas....really like the GO624 it would really suit my needs. If you get one of their lathes, let us know about it and write a review of the pro's and con's of it. Good luck with your decision...eezlock

ps. now, my wife has expressed an interest in learning to turn....
                      EZ, the 0624 looks like the same casting and specs as the Jet, Delta and PSI Turncrafter Pro. I have the PSI version and it's a nice little lathe for the money. I want to say it runs about $175 compared to $200+ for the others. There are also models (PSI and Jet) with a type of variable speed that some find convenient.

All of them are nice little lathes. The fit and finish on the jet is better, but the overall performance of all of them is comparable.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

Comment

• Whaler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Sequim, WA, USA.
                        • DW746

The PSI lathe is $199.99 + $42.00 shipping. Woodcraft has the Jet 10-14 on sale for $249.99 with free shipping thru the end of the month. I previously owned a Jet 10-14 and it is a great lathe, in my new shop I have the Jet 12-20.
                        www.woodcraft.com
                        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by Whaler
                          The PSI lathe is $199.99 + $42.00 shipping. Woodcraft has the Jet 10-14 on sale for $249.99 with free shipping thru the end of the month. I previously owned a Jet 10-14 and it is a great lathe, in my new shop I have the Jet 12-20.
                          www.woodcraft.com
                          http://www.amazon.com/PSI-TCLPRO-Tur...8341377&sr=8-3

$158 with free shipping at amazon. But the fit and finish of the jet is better.
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                            Now the motor isn't turning at all. I have an email into the customer service. They better be able to send a fresh motor, as I'm not boxing this thing back up to return it except for a full refund.
                            Sorry to hear about your problems with the lathe. I hope it gets resolved for you in short order. I just HATE to get a new anything and have it not work after a short time. Good Luck!
                            RAGS
                            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...