• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

What speed to turn Acrylic Pen Blanks

While visiting the Kids in Idaho for Thanksgiving, my son the grandkids and I went to the Local Woodcraft. While there my son purchased a bunch of Acrylic Pen Blank in the colors of Boise State, remember them Oaklahoma? So now I have a dozen Blue and Orange pens blank to turn. Question is what speed should I use on them? I have been practicing on a blank at 1250 rpm. Is that to fast, to slow. It seem to be ok just want to know correct speed before I start on the Boise blanks.

Tom
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

I turn mine "somewhere in the middle" of the speed range, so 1250 sounds about right. Slow down to the bottom speed when you sand & finish polish (recommend wet sanding, even if using micro mesh). Can't wait to see the results!

Comment

• Zenaca
      Established Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Idaho

I been turning those just as fast as my Jet 1236 will go then about half speed for the sanding with Micro Mesh. Havnt had any problems

Bud

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Lately, I have been turning at 2400 and above for shaping and getting a lot less snags.

I am going to get a full variable speed motor or lathe in the future because I spend so much time changing speeds on pens according to the need.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I turn all of my acrylics at 1250 and use sharp tools.
          For finishing I drop down a notch and sand thru 600 then switch to micro mesh wet thru 12000 and as final step I use 3-M fiberglass cleaner wax.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...