• Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Help Needed Turning Teak.

I'm at a loss. I've turned several pens to date and want to make one out of teak. A co-worker gave me half dozen teak blanks and I've shattered 3 of them by the busings as I'm turning them down. Any suggestions on what might be causing this and/or how to prevent this?

Thanks
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • final_t
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003

When shattering blanks of any type of wood or plastic, I've found that three things cause the most problems:
    1) Gluing: this accounts for 90% of the problems I've had. With softer or lighter woods, the glue can soak in before it bonds up - so with this, I use the thin stuff inside the wood hole a lot before pushing the brass tube in. For when the tube is really loose in the hole, I use either a lot of thick stuff, or better yet, use gorllia glue. Having the tube loose in the material sets up vibration, which causes catches.
    2) Too fast a speed, usually with:
    3) Dull tools! #2 and #3 combined will make you natually push harder into the wood, setting up stresses that cause a nice bang.

Is the teak you're turning really soft and/or punky, or hard stuff?

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

I have turned several teak pens without a problem. The only thing I can think of is possibly dull tools. It's been a couple years but as I remember it wasn't the friendliest wood to turn even with sharp tools.
      The teak that I used was very high quality that was salvaged from a boat, it had also been drying for about 20 years.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Hoakie
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Iowa
        • Craftsman 21829

Thanks guys,

I'll resharpen and turn the speed down to see if that helps.
        John
        To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

take small cuts and you can also try saturating the blank with CA if it's not oily.

I have run into problems with blanks breaking at the ends when the grain is going at a diagonal. sharp tools and light cuts is the best. The CA can add alittle extra strength if the wood is really dry. I've done that one some spalted blanks.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• ke4rdb
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006
            • Mooresville, NC
            • Ridgid TS3650

Either the tube was not glue well enough ( in other words, voids were thereis no glue on the tube/blank) or dull tools...my guess would be a dull tool (which causes you to use to much pressure then a catch).

I have turned some teak, it turns well, but is a bit dull (lack of interesting grain or color)for a pen.

JW
            Credidi me felem vidisse!

Comment

Working...