• Show
Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Thinking of asking for a mini lathe for me bday

My wife asked me what I would like to get for me birthday. I am thinking of asking her to buy me a lathe. Should I go for the PSI TCLPROVS Turncrafter Pro VS Variable Speed Wood Lathe or the Model 70-100 Rikon Mini Lathe? Would greatly appreciate any recommendation.

Thank you!
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Well I feel slightly qualified to comment. I have both a turncrafter pro (non vs) and the Rikon. Both the regular turncrafter pro and the Rikon change speeds by changing the belts on pulleys. It doesn't take long and I don't find it a bother. Both will handle about the same length stock but the Rikon has a 12" swing (will turn a bowl 12" in diameter) vs a 10" swing on the turncrafter + the Rikon has 12 position indexing while the turncrafter doesn't. Both come with a face plate, live center, spur center, knockout tool. The turncrafter also has a 6" tool rest, and an extra belt. The Rikon has an 8" toolrest, a tool holder (for the spur center, live center, knockout tool, etc) that bolts on the lathe and it has a handle on the headstock end to help lift it. Another difference is the turncrafter has thick rubber feet while the Rikon bolts to the bench top, I never had a problem with the turncrafter but it may be the extra swing that allows larger blanks might require the lathe be bolted down. I bought the turncrafter from Amazon for $169 with free shipping, I gave $199 for the Rikon at WoodCraft. I'm very happy with the turncrafter but I just wanted the extra swing for larger bowls that the Rikon allows.

The one thing I haven't addressed is how much you value the variable speed adaptor. If you never plan to turn anything but pens, bottle stoppers and other small projects the VS feature might be important to you. I wanted the extra size and the indexing.
    DonHo
    BTW, both the turncrafter and the Rikon have extensions available to allow longer spindle projects.
    Don

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • IL, USA.
      • DELTA 36-675

Thank you, Don! Still kicking myself in the head for not buying when the Rikon was on sale for $199.00.
      Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• ragswl4
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Winchester, Ca
        • C-Man 22114

I have the Rikon and after an intial problem (taken care of with great speed by Rikon) I really like the lathe. I have no other point of reference as it is my first lathe. What I like is the fit and finish, the tool holder (great accessory), ease of speed changes and the 12" swing. The Turncrafter Pro was my second choice and I only chose the Rikon due to the sale. At $169 the TC Pro was very inviting and has received great reviews by those who have them but when the Rikon went on sale for $199, the decision was easy. The review in Wood Magazine selected the Rikon as the best by in the Mini-Lathe category. From the research that I have done I think you might be satisfied with either lathe. Remember that the lathe is the cheapest part of turning. I have invested nearly $300 in mandrels, slow speed grinder, chisels and tools for making pens and still don't have a chuck yet. Good Luck on your choice!
        RAGS
        Raggy and Me in San Felipe
        sigpic

Comment

Working...