• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Pink Wood for Pens

LOML has given me an assignment to justify my pen turning. She would like to give the women in our family Pen and Pencil sets for Christmas. She wants to use the Breast Cancer Awareness theme(spelling). She would like the Pen/Pencils to be a pink wood. I got some Pink Ivory today but wasn't to impressed, a lot of sap wood. Is there a wood that is pretty close to pink when finished. I could get Acrylic but really don't want to get into plastic yet. Thought of some dyed or those multi colored blanks. She really wants to stay with the pink color if at all possible. I found some Pink Ivory Premium blanks but they are $5+ apeice that would be about $60 just for wood. That might be the way to go.
    Any sugestions would be appriciated. She also want to have them Laser engraved and color filed sot that is another $8 a pen and pencil. I just don't want a lot of sap wood in the blanks. This may end up being just a Pen instead of a set.

Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM.
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/order_pink_ivory.htm

$3 each for the low grade.

I'll see what else I can find.

http://www.woodturningz.com/PinkIvoryPics.aspx $3 fro grade A $2 for grade B

http://www.exoticwood.biz/pen-blanks.htm $2.50ea for 10 or more
    Last edited by Russianwolf; 11-06-2007, 10:54 PM.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanka Mike will give them a look see. Keep LOML happy and I can get more stuff/tools/wood/pen kits.

Tom

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

Neat idea. Cudos to your wife.

- Lonnie
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Just ordered 12 blanks from Woodturningz.com Decided not to do Pencils as the kits are too expensive for the European Pencil kit. Will do European Pens, haven't decided on what color. Blut will have them laser engraved and will have the engraving color filled. Was thinking of a Satin Pearl but got a pen set in that color and tried it on the blanks I got to day and really did not care for it. I have to make a pen and pencil set for our Pastor that will be out of Olivewood from the holy land the the Cross on the clips. The guy may or may not get Pens/Pencils they may end up with gift cards from Big Box stores.

Tom

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by TB Roye
            Just ordered 12 blanks from Woodturningz.com Decided not to do Pencils as the kits are too expensive for the European Pencil kit. Will do European Pens, haven't decided on what color. Blut will have them laser engraved and will have the engraving color filled. Was thinking of a Satin Pearl but got a pen set in that color and tried it on the blanks I got to day and really did not care for it. I have to make a pen and pencil set for our Pastor that will be out of Olivewood from the holy land the the Cross on the clips. The guy may or may not get Pens/Pencils they may end up with gift cards from Big Box stores.

Tom
            Hey Tom. I like the looks of chrome with the pink ivory myself. Have a look at the kits over at www.woodpenpro.com his prices are a bit better on the pencils. He was the only place I could find chrome pencil kits (I have an order for three sets myself)
            Last edited by Russianwolf; 11-07-2007, 10:55 AM.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• CrashResq
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Okmulgee, OK, USA
              • Ryobi BT3100

Tom,

I did a pink pen for my manager who is a breast cancer survivor. It's in this post
              http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=33895

I used a Fuscia Diamondwood blank from Woodcraft. It's actually a lighter shade pink than what showed in the photo....
              Bill (in OK)

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Couldn't you just analine dye some maple?

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Thanks all for the information. Jeffery I did think of the dye, But LOML was set on Pink Ivory. I have 12 pieces coming from Wood Turningz, will probably be here Friday. Thanks for all the site I have booked marked them for future reference. A friend of my LOML is a Mary Kay Rep and guess what color they like? Can you say I will hate pink before long, she wants pens. The pens will either have chrome of black Titainum as the trim color. The size hasn't been determined yet. I am going to make up a Slimline and a European style pen and make a decision as to style. I am going to try and get some decent pictures tomorrow or Friday and post them, need to get a better way to photograph them (14).

Tom

Comment

Working...