• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Long grain or End grain Pen Blank

I have been practicing turning before I actually start making anything. My question concerns using end grain blanks for pen turning. Is there any know problems turning pens in this way? I am concerned about the wood possible splitting after the wood ages. They may also be other issues that I am unaware of, if so I would appreciate any advice.

I did turn one sample with Bocote, both long and end grain and the end grain turning was much nicer looking (better figure) than the long grain. Guess that's the reason for the question. Thanks.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

I think most pen blanks you buy are long grain. I've turned a few end grain (from cut offs I had) and had problems with some of them breaking while I was turning them, although the one I did get finished did look good. Another option is to cut the blanks on an angle, that seems to give good look without the problems I had with end grain. The angle cut has a really nice look on woods like zebrawood, bocote, etc.

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

I turned some end grain bocote and had no problems with it and looks so much better than long grain. I have several boards of bocote and cocobola and the end grain is fabulous although the long grain is nice as well. I am getting ready to cut the wood into blanks and don't want to waste it if end grain gives problems down the road after the pen is made.

Thanks for the idea on the diagonal cut, perhaps thats the best way to go. I'll give that a try.
      RAGS
      sigpic

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

crosscut blanks are fairly available. The couple I've done, Like Donho, were more difficult to turn, but finished well. I've done some angle cuts and you can run into the problem to a lesser degree with them. Use sharp tools and shallow cuts and you do fine.

No problems with cracking afterwards.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Russianwolf
          crosscut blanks are fairly available. The couple I've done, Like Donho, were more difficult to turn, but finished well. I've done some angle cuts and you can run into the problem to a lesser degree with them. Use sharp tools and shallow cuts and you do fine.

No problems with cracking afterwards.
          Thanks. Glad to hear it works OK as the grain is much nicer that way.
          RAGS
          sigpic

Comment

Working...