• Show
Clear All
  • CrashResq
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Okmulgee, OK, USA
    • Ryobi BT3100

Haven't posted in a while...

But I've still been busy in the shop (after I got it moved out of the repeatedly flooding basement). Here are some little things I've done.

Atlas Corn Cob pen for a friend at work. Kingwood toothpick holders. Marblewood earings. Pink Diamondwood slimline pen for my manager (she is a breast cancer survivor, thus the pink). Tulipwood scissor tip protector... my wife asked me to make one of these for her and then all of her quilting/sewing friends wanted them too.
    Attached Files
    Bill (in OK)
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

I like them all. How about some more info on the scissor tip protector, as you know my wife is into quilting and that looks like something I might make for her.

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Nice work! I really like the corn cob pen, and great idea on the scissor tip protector. How did you stabilize the cob?

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

Nice work on all. You have been busy.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• rja
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Beautiful design and execution - very professional quality!

Comment

• CrashResq
            Established Member
            • Apr 2003
            • Okmulgee, OK, USA
            • Ryobi BT3100

Thank you all for the responses...

Don... the scissor tips are just small scraps turned to "whatever looks good"... the trick is the "Susan Bates Small Knitting Needle Protectors"... my wife picks them up in a four pack at Jo-Anns. I cut the ring off so that all is left is the cone. Turn the wood and drill a tapered hole (I go from a small bit to depth and then progressively larger, but not as deep, until the cone slides in... HINT: the step drill bit set from Harbor Freight makes this a lot easier ) I super glue the cone in and then finish sand and polish... drill a hole in the opposite end to thread a "keeper" string through (my wife likes the beads) and you're done.

Gerti... I cheated!!! I purchased a "stabilized" cob from woodcraft. It's still real tricky and you will still use a LOT of CA glue because the stabilized blank ain't stabilized enough! Another lesson learned: If you purchase a stabilized blank... get the smallest diameter one they have... the Atlas pen is massive and I still almost lost the "corn cob" look....

Whaler... Thank you oh master of the pens... you've been really busy and making some beautiful pens... It has been a pleasure watching your progress and now I look at your pens for inspiration... and I haven't been busy enough per SWMBO... she needs stock for a little local craft show she has a booth in...

rja... Professional quality? Really... man... I don't know if I'll be able to get my swollen head back through the shop door... Thank you for the feedback
            Bill (in OK)

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Bill,

Just saw this thread today. That is some really really nice work. The scissors protector would be great for my mom. My dad got a Delta lathe this summer that is waiting for me to go over and tune it up. Maybe that will be a winter project instead of a spring one...
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...