• Show
Clear All
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

First bowl on new Rikon lathe

Well here is my first effort on the new lathe. A cedar bowl with a lid. I love turning cedar because it smells sooooo good. One problem with cedar is knots, at least they are a problem for me. I left the bowl walls a little thick because I ran into some of the knots that were showing on the outside and was afraid they would come out if I messed with it much more. I did use CA glue on the outside before I started the turning and maybe I could have used it inside also, just didn't want to risk having it blow up on me.

As for the new lathe, I found out that changing the belt(changing speeds) seems to be harder than on the PSI lathe ( maybe I just need more practice). I hadn't noticed but the Rickon has a plate to shield the motor from dust and shavings comings thru the bed. Although I never had problems with dust in the motor on the PSI, this seems like a good idea to me. The drive points on the headstock and tailstock lined up right out of the box and I like the larger(8") toolrest that came with the Rikon. Also one thing I really liked is removing the tailstock when turning bowls so you can have betterr access. I could have done the same thing on the PSI but since it came with the toolrest already attached I never thought of it All in all I think I'm going to like the new lathe a lot but I need to try it with some larger ( 11 or 12") blank to see how that works because the larger swing is the reason I bought the Rikon. I'll report back when I try something larger.

DonHo
    Attached Files
    Don
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Very nice.

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

Great looking bowl!
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

The grain shows beautifully too! Nice Work!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I'm not into turning, but that's a very nice looking bowl, Don. Keep them coming.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

Very, very nice. Should I ever do so well on my Rikon I would be pleased beyond belief. Great looking bowl.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• CrashResq
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Okmulgee, OK, USA
              • Ryobi BT3100

Very nice Don... I'll be through Shawnee next week and I'll meet you at the Honda shop to pick it up
              Bill (in OK)

Comment

Working...