• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Home for the new Rikon Lathe

I decided that the new lathe needed a dedicated cabinet to hold the lathe, tools, supplies and whatever else I may need to turn. I attempted to make it in the Kirkby fashion but failed in several areas. At least it has a bunch of MDF for drawer fronts and doors. I just couldn't get the finish right. Used Resisthane Plus and maybe that's not a good finish for MDF. The left door is too long and the bottom, left small door is too wide. (Actually a hinge issue).

At least I shouldn't have lathe stuff strewn thoughout the shop with the other tools (discipline, discipline, discipline).

After Rikon sent new bearings and I changed them out the lathe purrs like a kitten.

Edit: Posted without adding the picture and can't figure out how to add it now so will add another post.
    Last edited by ragswl4; 10-17-2007, 04:18 PM. Reason: Clicked the wrong ^%*#$@ button
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

New Home for Lathe (with PIC this time)

Here's the picture, I know dumber than a bag of rocks.
    Last edited by ragswl4; 12-20-2008, 05:10 PM.
    RAGS
    sigpic

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

looks good to me. Now that you know how to post pictures how about some pics of the bowls, pens, etc you'll be turning?

DonHo
      Don

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I remember when my Rikon looked that clean.

I do want to give you a warning. Be very careful as you start doing bowls. That table looks great for pens and small bowls but it won't take but a couple of seconds for those feet/rollers and sides to tear the screws out once you start on a 8 x 8 x 8 block or similar size.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by leehljp
          I remember when my Rikon looked that clean.

I do want to give you a warning. Be very careful as you start doing bowls. That table looks great for pens and small bowls but it won't take but a couple of seconds for those feet/rollers and sides to tear the screws out once you start on a 8 x 8 x 8 block or similar size.
          Thanks for the heads up. Bowls are a long way down the road for me. I will only be doing pens during breaks from the monotonus cabinet building and house framing and ............. Part of the new house is a dedicated WW shop and thats when I'll get to the bowls. I am going to either build or buy a stationary stand for the lathe once the new shop is ready. I can use this mobile table for a lot of things after that.
          RAGS
          sigpic

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Very Kirbyesque!
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by ragswl4
              Thanks for the heads up. Bowls are a long way down the road for me.

I know of several people who made that same statement (myself included) who said that and within a couple of weeks, couldn't resist the switch.

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                I know of several people who made that same statement (myself included) who said that and within a couple of weeks, couldn't resist the switch.
                I thought of that also but I have a kitchen full of cabinets to finish and a house to frame, do electrical, plumbing, wall board, the list goes on. Foundation is being poured next week and a week after that the wife and I take over to finish it, all 2800 sq ft with two stories and a detached garage with a WW shop included. Just not gonna get to any bowls for a long, long time.

But in case I'm wrong the lathe will go on a more substantial stand first.
                RAGS
                sigpic

Comment

• guycox
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Romulak, VA, USA.

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                  And the Corollary - "It'll be a long time before I'm turning hollow forms"

Then you get into some real toys -- captured bars, 80# boring bars, lasers, steady rests and a engine hoist so you can get the blank positioned on the headstock....
                  Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
                  What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Rags, with all that work to do, relaxation will be doubly important. I don't know for sure, but if you're like me, there's no better place to do that than in the shop, making sawdust...

Comment

• bigstick509
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Macomb, MI, USA.
                      • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• jhart
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Rags, nice to see someone else have cabinets turn out like some of mine. I keep learning though and someday mine too will look like Kirby's. I just wish I didn't have to keep practicing so much before they turn out to my liking.
                        Joe
                        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...