• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Advice needed

Am ready to build a bench for my Jet 1220 and am unsure of how high to make it.
    With the tool rest all the way down I am thinking even with my belt line.

Using your belt line as a guide where does the tool rest sit and be comfortable for you.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I'd not thought of using the tool rest as a guide to lathe height - I use the "drive centre level with my elbow" method, which seems to work fine.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Popeye
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Woodbine, Ga
      • Grizzly 1023SL

Ya made me have to think early in the morning Dick..... and it's hard!!!!
      I can't change the height of my lathe but if I could I would make the centerline of the head and tailstock just slightly below my elbow height as that's where my guide hand would naturally fall on the tool rest. Lower and you make yourself bend which hurts my back in a very short while. Higher makes it easier for old eyes to see but doesn't feel natural to me and makes my arms tired. (I base that on using a friends lathe to turn a couple of bowls)
      BTW Dick, all of us are waiting to see pictures of this new shop. Pat
      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by RayintheUK
        I'd not thought of using the tool rest as a guide to lathe height - I use the "drive centre level with my elbow" method, which seems to work fine.

Ray.
        As I was typing my reply to Dick I got to thinking about you Ray. Hadn't heard from you in a "coon's age." Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

The height of my lathe center is about an inch above my elbow, and is comfortable for me. I think a lot is going to depend on you, as in your build, your posture, even the length of your carving tools. When I cut, I use an area of my hip to brace the handle of the tool, hence my preferred lathe height. If I'm doing very detailed work when I hold the tool freehand, this height is a little tall, so I stand on a short 2" platform with a rubber mat glued on top.

Comment

• final_t
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003

I think that I have mine set like the others suggest, spindle at elbow, but lately I seem to be bending over it a lot which hurts my back, so I'm thinking about raising it 2 inches or so and see how that works out.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

If I raise my fore arm level (to the ground) and put it parallel to the center line of the my lathe, the center line is the same height as the middle of my fore arm. That may seem a little high for some, but I don't get any back problems with turning at that height, plus I am able to see everything well.

I do have back problems considerably but this height is ideal for me on the lathe. In the past if I had to bend over because something was an inch or two too low, I could adjust with my arms and hands but in reality the back makes adjustments too and ends up giving me fits.

In my experience, a table that is one or two inches too high from ideal causes less back pain than a table one or two inches too low from ideal. I err on the side of high and have no complaints.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...