• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulstenlund
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Puget Island, Wa.

bushings

How often do you replace your bushings?? I was going thru the wood and getting to the brass so I ordered new bushings from PSI when I got my last kits. They are noticably larger (1/32) than the old. Did I sand off that much in 10 pens?

Paul
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I'm wondering the same thing. My bushings for my cigar pens are kinda weathered. They've been turned down along witht he wood, and sanded, and covered with CA while finishing... Though I still get a pretty good fit with them...

I know a lot of people use the bushings as more of a guide, and use calipers to get the final thickness.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

That's a lot, Paul. I 'try' not to sand on the bushings for that reason plus the metal dust gets in the wood and discolors it. I definitely don't turn them down with my tools, well not intentionally anyway. :-(

Comment

• paulstenlund
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Puget Island, Wa.

Its more like 1/64 .... but all the way around ie: both sides.
        I like the caliper idea I've one stuck to the stand with a magnet, I use them for spindles. I'll check the center band and compare to bushings etc.

Comment

• mater
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • SC, USA.

Although they may need changing I am still on my first set of bushings. I bought my Jet mini a couple of years ago.
          Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• guycox
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Romulak, VA, USA.

Speaking of Busings has anyone tried that mullti-stepped bushing that Hut sells -- ? http://www.hutproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=0372

I'm wondering how they acually operate...? Move the right size up against the wood or what?
            Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
            What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

Working...