It looks like the Wolverine Jig... But is it really the same thing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

It looks like the Wolverine Jig... But is it really the same thing?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html

Price is right if it's just as good as the Wolverine branded jig... Especially considering what it includes...

What say you all?
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

I'm not for sure but it sure looks like the wolverine jig. I had already bought the wolverine before I saw PSI had this jig or I would have bought it. I've bought several items from PSI and have been happy with the quality of all of them.

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• Anna
      • Feb 2006
      • CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I think I read some snide remarks against the PSI kit on the Woodnet turning forum. I have the Wolverine/OneWay jigs myself, so I didn't really pay much attention. You might want to search that forum, though. Something about you get what you pay for, etc. I think the v-arm is a little thinner or smaller. And if you want to do the fingernail profile, you'll still want to get the vari-grind anyway. Unless you have the talent or skill and can do it free-hand. In which case you won't be needing the jig at all.

By the way, if you don't have a slow-speed grinder yet, take a look at the Woodcraft version currently on sale for $80. It comes with the white wheels.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN

Well I already bought the SS grinder, so this is the last piece in the puzzle... The jig states that it comes with the fingernail jig, as well as the scew jig... I wonder how much different it could be?

Comment

• Anna
          • Feb 2006
          • CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Yep, you're right. I looked at the instructions, and it does come with a version of the vari-grind. Some people on Woodnet did say that the kit works for them. There were at least a couple who said that they ended up buying the Wolverine anyway.

Sorry couldn't be of any more help.

By the way, it's on Amazon with free shipping for $101.
          Last edited by Anna; 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I haven't read the it yet, but there is an article in the new Wood on mini lathes and sharpening. The PSI is favorably mentioned.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN

I'll have to check that issue out. It's worth it, especially if the PSI is a good kit and saves me $60+ from going name brand...

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by Anna
                Yep, you're right. I looked at the instructions, and it does come with a version of the vari-grind. Some people on Woodnet did say that the kit works for them. There were at least a couple who said that they ended up buying the Wolverine anyway.

Sorry couldn't be of any more help.

By the way, it's on Amazon with free shipping for $101.
                They also have the what Looks like to be the Barracuda 4 chuck system for $125, $75 off PSI's price... For that much, I might have to try the PSI chuck (even though I've heard mixed reviews...).

Comment

• don_hart
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

I have the PSI version of this jig and it is basically the same jig. In fact I use the wolverine instructions and videos with this jig as they are better written than the instructions that come with the PSI version.

Just to qualify this opinion I have used the wolverine jig several times while taking classes at woodcraft and they are basically the same thing.
                  Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN

That's all I needed to convince me! Now the only question is how good the Barracuda 2 chuck is...

Comment

• don_hart
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

I have the CSC2000 version of the barracuda chuck (not the CSC2000C) and am very happy with it. I have been looking at the CSC3000C as I would like to have a keyed chuck as it makes chucking items up easier as you can open and close the chuck with one hand.

I would not order this chuck through PSI though. You can get it from amazon and it is only 127.16 and it qualifies for free shipping. This is an amazing price considering that the chuck comes with 4 sets of jaws.
                      Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, I think I'm going to be buying both the Wolverine knock-off and the Barracuda chuck from Amazon. Man I love them...

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by Pappy
                          I haven't read the it yet, but there is an article in the new Wood on mini lathes and sharpening. The PSI is favorably mentioned.
                          Pappy-
                          What issue of Wood is it? I looked at the stores and online, and can't find any reference as to which issue you're referring to. I'd like to read that article, just so that I have all of the details.

Thanks!

Comment

• SteveR
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • USA.

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                            What issue of Wood is it? I looked at the stores and online, and can't find any reference as to which issue you're referring to. I'd like to read that article, just so that I have all of the details.
                            It is Wood issue # 179 Oct. 2007 Article name "get into woodturning for under $600" starts on page 74. The Barricude chuck review is actually on page 77 as well as the PSI sharpening unit's review. I just got my copy in the mail this week.

I have this chuck (Barracuda2) and am very pleased, particularly for the $$. I have not used any other type, so have nothing to compare to, but it has performed well so far (and I abused it trying to learn bowls with tea candle holders in the center of it). Seems well built to me and all the mechanisms work well/smooth.
                            HTH
                            Steve

Comment

Working...