Things I Learned this Weekend (about pens)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Things I Learned this Weekend (about pens)

1. I still hate turning acrylics.
    2. I still like finishing/ sanding acrylics.
    3. Always check the tube fit before you add glue and try to insert it into the blank.
    4. Use gloves then handing CA and other glues, it won't make a mess on your hands then.
    5. I'm using Gorilla/ Poly glue for gluing up blanks from now on.
    6. Micro Mesh really is the best stuff ever.

I think that 5 and 6 are the biggest surprises of the weekend. I thought of using GG after seeing on a pen turning website/ store. Then, I blew out an acrylic blank- I think mostly because there was a slight gap between the tube and the blank. The GG fills up the gaps, wich really supports the blank if there's a gap. I did about 16 pens worth of turning, and none of them had failures after I went to the GG (well, a spalted maple blank did, but you know...).

The Micro Mesh is also a huge benefit. I got it because of the Rockler $10 off $30 promotion. I've been using automotive 3M sandpaper up to 2000 grit, but the MM is much handier, and I think gives an even better finish.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Just in case you don't know, don't get the MM to hot from friction. And when it gets dirty stick it in a pocket of a pair of jeans and throw the jeans in the washer. Take the MM out before putting the jeans in the dryer and let it air dry.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN

Yeah- I definitely found that I don't feel the need to put as much pressure on the MM as I do with std paper. I did a few times, and tore the pad surface a bit.

Thanks for the tip on washing them. I only have a single pair of jeans, but next time I wash 'em I'll do that.

I think that if these pads last a total of 24 pens- which I'm told they should last much longer- it's still only $0.50/ pen to the cost, and the finish/ ease of use is SO much better. I thought it was just hype, but it really isn't...

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

You can also put them in one of those mesh bag thingies that ladies use for delicates. Here's another option that I remember reading on penturners.org a few months ago. It gave me a much needed laugh! I only ask that if you try this, please NO pics! :-)

"I keep it in the side pocket of my turning frock when I wash it. In fact sometimes, I just wear my turning frock into the shower with my MM in the pocket. Believe it or not, the 1500 makes a pretty fair acne scrub too."

Here's the thread, there were several other suggestions that sound good, an ultrasonic cleaner being one that I'd like to try.
        Last edited by Ken Massingale; 08-06-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I found that using micro mesh wet and the lathe on the slowest speed worked best for me.
          Dick
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

I learned #3 the hard way.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by mater
              I learned #3 the hard way.
              Yeah- me too. I've ruined a fair amount of blanks. And one of them was a really nice sp maple.

I really like using the Gorilla Glue to glue the blanks now. Does anyone else use that, or am I the only one?

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                Yeah- me too. I've ruined a fair amount of blanks. And one of them was a really nice sp maple.

I really like using the Gorilla Glue to glue the blanks now. Does anyone else use that, or am I the only one?
                I use it too. better coverage than CA and less work than epoxy. What's not to like?
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, the only thing about it is it takes longer than the CA + Accelerator. Also, I'm curious as to what it looks like with translucent acrylic... I guess I'll find out after I turn this next batch.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                    I use it too (GG). better coverage than CA and less work than epoxy. What's not to like?
                    Occasionally, GG will push the tube out of the hole as it expands if you are not careful. It seems that it only happens on that one in a thousand very special pen blanks. It is very selective! Otherwise, great glue.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by leehljp
                      Occasionally, GG will push the tube out of the hole as it expands if you are not careful. It seems that it only happens on that one in a thousand very special pen blanks. It is very selective! Otherwise, great glue.
                      You know, that happened to me last night! I pushed the tube in before it set, but I'm concerned that the tube may not have the strongest bond now. If it separates fromt eh blank, I'll just reglue with CA. I think GG may not be the best for Acrylics, which is wat it was in... Only experience will tell, however.

Comment

• Sawduster
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

I wonder how many times I have had to relearn

3. Always check the tube fit before you add glue and try to insert it into the blank.

I've recently (well several months ago) turned several pens in Olivewood from Bethlehem. The blanks have been quite moist and they stretch or something while the hole is being drilled. Then the tube is a real tight fit.
                        Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
                        ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

Working...