• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Mandrel Sizes for Pen Turning

OK, I bought this mandrel: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3759.

Now I'm comparing the cost between going to Woodcraft and going online for a couple of kits and other misc supplies I need. But what I'm coming accross is a reference to two mandrel sizes... Apparently there's an "A" size and a "B" size- and you need to choose the correct bushings depending on what size mandrel you have. I have no clue what size mandrel the Woodcraft one is, so I'm not sure if I need to pick up an additional mandrel if I choose to go online. Another $15 would really affect where I go for this purchase...

Any help at all is appreciated.
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

My understanding is that 'some' of the Berea kits need the B mandrel. I haven't done a kit that requires it. Ask over on penturners.org

Just found this on AAW:

'The "A" mandrel is used for 7mm based pen kits from PSI, CSUSA, and most of what Berea Hardwoods sell. Berea does sell some kits that require the thicker "B" mandrel. These include the Euro Double-twist, El Grande, and the Perfect Fit Convertable.

The A mandrel is about .247" in diameter and the B is about .291" in diameter.
    '

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

99% chance your's is an A mandrel. Unless you bought it from Berea (or one of their resellers)

Easiest way to know is which kits have you made with it? 7mm slimlines? Has to be an A as they won't fit on the B.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• don_hart
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Well it has been a year and a half since I posted but this looks like a good time to start again

What you have is a "A" type mandrel. This is a standard 7mm mandrel and will be the most useful to you.

I definitely recommend that you purchase your kits online as the prices are much better.

For PSI style kits I recommend http://www.woodturningz.com they have great prices and good cutomer service. They sell everything Penn State carries but only have a small portion of it listed on their site so you will have to call if you want something they dont list. Also their prices are lower than the ones at PSI.

For Berea style kits I recommend http://www.beartoothwoods.com Ernie is a real good guy his prices are good and the shipping is very fast.

A site for other higher end pen kits is http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/
        Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

I'm almost certain that mine's an A. I have done only slimlines and Cigars on it. Now it seems that all of Woodcraft's bushings only use one mandrel type... But a lot of their kits are the same found on other sites. So I wonder why some sites have different bushing sets for the same kits. Or are they really just similar kits? Or are the bushings for the kits made by a whole different bunch of makers?

There's a specific tpe of pen I'm looking to make, and I know what it is on the Woodcraft side, but when I look online, there's no sure way to know it's the same thing. They're definitely similar, but I don't know if it's the same. My customer wants the initialized cap- which Woodcraft has for the Classic American pen. Other sites list a same or similar pen as a "Flat Top American" pen.

Then there's the drill bit issues! For these same/ similar pens I've seen them require both an "O" bit and an 11mm bit. But some only require the "O" bit. Some require only an 11mm bit. Some require a 8.27mm bit- saying that the "O" bit is too tight for the kit... And they all look like the same kit to my untrained eye..........

So at this point- I really want to save the $$, but if I buy from Woodcraft I would hope that I'll at least not have to worry about what bushings work with what mandrel with what bit.... Or is my confusion an over-reaction?

Comment

• don_hart
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Yes it is the flat top American pen. All of the kits from woodcraft are Berea hardwood kits. Here is the link to the page on thier site with this kit http://www.bereahardwoods.com/price/kits/mix_3.cfm#2 they are not the only company that sell the initial kits. Hut also sell them. Now if you are just looking for a good price on the pen kit you can get them from Ernie at bear tooth woods. He has them for about $3 -$4 cheaper a kit than woodcraft.
            Don Hart

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN

So one question- Could I use the Woodcraft bushings (for an A mandrel, I assume) and then buy the kit brom Bear Tooth?

Comment

• don_hart
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Yep they are the exact same kit.
                Don Hart

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN

Good deal. I went to Woodcraft today and got a few things... I think I'll get the kits online next time I go buy in bulk, but right now I only spent a little more than going online, and I get it now!

So for a lot of kits there's two sets of bushings available? That just seems stupid.

Comment

Working...