• Show
Clear All
  • blame
    Established Member
    • May 2007
    • Northern MO
    • delta ts-220 or something like that

finally something turned out right

the last few weeks have been very frustrating using the psi lathe and chuck to turn anything

i been working on a few things but none of them are ready to show
    one thing i worked on tonight was this small simple candle holder for my wife made from honey locust crotch thats been drying for 3 years in my wood pile

its was sanded to 800 grit nothing else there still alot i need to work on but at least its in one piece lol

sorry for the bad photo

critiques welcomed
    blame
    Attached Files
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

looks good to me, great piece of wood also.
    If I may ask, what did you do different on this one that let it "work out"?
    DonHo
    Don

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

something turn out right......

Looks good to me....the natural separation in the wood adds character
      to a piece of wood, sort of natures own added beauty! eezlock

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Hey blame, looks pretty good.

I was going to post my experience on using the chuck on the other thread, but I'll just put it here.

I tried using the chuck for the first time this past weekend. First I screwed a piece (section of Apple trunk from a long dead tree that I removed when we moved into the house) to the faceplate and turned it round. Then I made a 1/4 long 2 inch diameter tennon on the opposite end. I switched to the chuck and used the tennon in the jaws. There was very little wobble at this point and it was a quick job of re-rounding it. It did get tossed once but I retightened it and had no other problems even when I had a dig/catch. I then went to work hollowing. Honestly I need to work on this as it was the place I had the most problems (the hollow is very rough).

I was using my PSI turncrafter Pro lathe with a mended bed (it does have some flex), and the PSI utility chuck. This was my first non-pen round piece and it's nothing to write home about, but LOML thinks its neat (and she claimed to get high off the tung oil).
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• blame
          Established Member
          • May 2007
          • Northern MO
          • delta ts-220 or something like that

thanks DonHo, to be honest i think its the height of the piece its only 2 1/2" tall so there wasnt alot to hollow out thats where i run into problems once i get 1 1/2" to 2" away from the tool rest it puts alot of torque on the chuck and causes the jaws to slip. this piece was only hollowed to 1 1/2" depth. i need to make a flat tool rest i can put inside to get deeper just havent the time right now

eezlock thanks i thought so too i have a few more shots of it but they dont show the same color as this one there plain and are so blured that you have a hard time see it

Russianwolf thanks for the comment i hope you have better luck with your chuck then i have with mine i've been thinking about buying a metal lathe and my boss at work has an older model Atlas 14"X52" for $125 and it has been used for turning wood and has a stronger headstock (thats the downfall of the mini lathe weak headstocks) one of the things i've noticed is how much the headstock flexes while turning wether it be with or without the tailstock in use so i thought i would try turning some hollow forms on it

Comment

Working...