help finding the best midi lathe for $$$

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • blame
    Established Member
    • May 2007
    • 196
    • Northern MO
    • delta ts-220 or something like that

    #16
    [QUOTE=Russianwolf;272991]I've been driving it over a year now, so I think it's already paid for itself.

    thats cool but i bet gas milage sucks LOL should'nt be too bad which motor does it have?

    I'm going with the original two tone paint scheme, but with colors that are readily available. Gloss white up top and Allis Chalmers Orange on bottom. When I finally get around to restore it the way I want, I'll use Jeep colors from 1973 (even though she's a 1970, they didn't have orange that year), Champaign White and Renegade Orange.

    AC Orange now theres a cool color

    And I'm not spraying, I'm rolling her. The white needs one more coat, but already looks nice.

    never heard of anyone doing that cant wait to see some pics

    Oh, I looked at PSI's site and that starter kit is $67 plus shipping, then you could resale the mandrel (keeping the bushings) and probably have paid $50. Oh, the package also has 2 part epoxy for gluing the tubes in the blanks. It's not too bad of a deal if you need everything in the pack like I did.

    not a bad idea i'm going to check out what i can find here locally and then go from there
    blame

    Comment

    • Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • 3152
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

      #17
      Originally posted by blame
      thats cool but i bet gas milage sucks LOL should'nt be too bad which motor does it have?
      She's has the original (Buick made) Dauntless 350 V8 (shares nothing with the Chevy 350, but the size). I'm guessing she gets in the 8-10 range in milage. I need to do a good tune-up on her and degrease it good so I can check for leaks. She's not using too much oil, maybe a quart in 6 months so I don't expect to find much. Her main job is my commute to the train station every day, a whooping 8 mile round trip, So I can go 2-3 weeks between gassing and I only put about 10 gallons in at a time.

      Original specs on the engine were 230hp and 350ft/lbs. It was the last year for this engine as AMC bought the company in mid 70.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

      If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

      Comment

      • blame
        Established Member
        • May 2007
        • 196
        • Northern MO
        • delta ts-220 or something like that

        #18
        thats cool never seen a (Buick made) Dauntless 350 V8 before could you post a pic

        230 hp that seems high for a jeep
        a friend of mine had a 78 jeep with an amc 345 V8 and from a stand still if he reved it hard and dumped the clutch it would lift the front about 20" off the ground

        blame

        Comment

        • Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 3152
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

          #19
          Originally posted by blame
          thats cool never seen a (Buick made) Dauntless 350 V8 before could you post a pic

          230 hp that seems high for a jeep
          a friend of mine had a 78 jeep with an amc 345 V8 and from a stand still if he reved it hard and dumped the clutch it would lift the front about 20" off the ground

          blame
          I'll have to take one later. You have to remember that this is a heavy halfton truck. Not a CJ. The same engine was used in the Wagoneers (it hadn't become the Grand Wagoneer yet), in fact all the sheet metal from the front doors forwards are interchangable between the Wagoneer and Gladiator. And there is nothing on this engine to rob power. No AC, No Power steering, no emissions, just an alternator and water pump.

          She has a 3 speed gear box with a 1st that's so low I usually don't even use it and shift out of 2nd around 30. The axles/trans gearing is low enough that anything over 60mph is really revving it.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

          If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

          Comment

          • blame
            Established Member
            • May 2007
            • 196
            • Northern MO
            • delta ts-220 or something like that

            #20
            i got the lathe today

            seems to be a great lathe very easy to change speeds quickly seems very solid
            i just dont know about the tailstock when i tighten it down and then tighten down the ram
            it moves the tailstock so i tried to adjusted the tension on the clamp for the bed and still it slides and the screw that holds the ram in place or the ram lock is striped i either need to retap the hole or tap it for the next size up

            but other then that its a great lathe

            blame

            Comment

            Working...