• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Source for turning tools?

I have a lathe and a set of Craftsman chisels that was given to me. I am looking to upgrade the tools and have no idea where to start.

I know that Woodcraft, Rockler, PSI carry a line of chisels, and probably eBay and Amazon.com.

Does anybody have any additional links for other sources?

I am considering getting the $70 set from PSI and then adding tools as I need(or can afford).

TIA
    Ken
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

This set from Harbor Freight is a decent start. Then as you see which tools you use mostly you can pickup better stuff like Sorby, Crown, etc., as you can. HF used to have a burgandy handled set but I think this is the same set now:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47066

Comment

• mpauly
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • NJ

Not sure what kind of quality bracket the craftsman set is in, but I'd doubt that the PSI set would be much of a step up. If you're still looking for a relatively cheap set, the red handled Harbor Freight set is a decent HSS set that can be had for under $50. The light colored set is considered to be lower quality (softer steel).

If you're looking for Sorby or Crown, I'd suggest looking at what Hartville tools ( www.hartvilletools.com ) has to offer. They have decent prices to start with and then offer a 15% discount to woodnet members (I forget the code/procedure, but if you search over on woodnet, you'll find it). I picked up some crown bowl gouges during a recent sale and they were significantly cheaper than any place I could find and had good customer service to boot. I'm sure others with chime in with some other suggestions on where to shop....

Michael

Comment

• DonHo
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
        • Craftsman 21829

I started with the dark handled HF set ( don't know about the light set ) and found them alright. I've also bought several individual tools from PSI, WoodCraft and Hartville. The fit and finish of the PSI tools may not be quite up to par with the Crown or Sorby tools and probably the steel may not be quite as good either but they are much cheaper AND as long as you get HSS tools how they cut will depend more on how sharp they are and your skill than the price you paid. For my 2 cents, I'd recommend buying the HF or PSI tools and spend the difference on a sharpening device that will give you a consisent edge. Then after you've had some experience you can upgrade if you feel the need and the sharping tool will still work to keep the higher priced tools sharp

DonHo
        Don

Comment

• paulstenlund
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Puget Island, Wa.

Holbren has Crown tools for a good price and free shipping

Comment

• mpauly
            Established Member
            • Apr 2006
            • NJ

Originally posted by paulstenlund
            Holbren has Crown tools for a good price and free shipping
            If you are going to buy one or two tools, the BT3 discount and free shipping kind of equalizes Holbren's pricing, but I've found that on the sets (or multiple individual tools), Hartville was considerably cheaper even after you add in shipping.

That said, I've purchased from both and had great service from both, you make the call.

Michael

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Michael/Don,
              is the red handled set still available? I don't find it in the store or online. The set above is priced about the same as the red one if my memory is working right today.
              The set above is HSS, the light handle set they had in the past was plain carbon steel. Also, this set is 'Windsor Designs', which the old red handled set I have is.
              Last edited by Ken Massingale; 05-22-2007, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
                Michael/Don,
                is the red handled set still available? I don't find it in the store or online. The set above is priced about the same as the red one if my memory is working right today.
                The set above is HSS, the light handle set they had in the past was plain carbon steel. Also, this set is 'Windsor Designs', which the old red handled set I have is.
                They ran out of stain for the handles [shrugs]
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• DonHo
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                  • Craftsman 21829

I'm sorry but I don't know if the dark handle HF turning tools are still available. I bought mine a little over a year ago and haven't paid attention lately.

DonHo
                  Don

Comment

• mpauly
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • NJ

When I bought my set, they had both sets available, with the dark handles being a little more expensive. Both were HSS as far as I remember, but no real idea if one was truly better than the other.

Comment

Working...