Oh joy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 3152
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

    #1

    Oh joy!

    Wife called to ask "what's this package from Penn Syate Industries?"

    Looks like I can start learning to turn pens this weekend if I have some spare time.

    I have the Turncrafter Pro lathe and just recieved the pen starter kit (mandrel, blanks and 10 kits)
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • 1371
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

    #2
    I think I see a sick day coming your way. Hey, you know, you don't look so good. You feeling ok?

    Maybe it's an eye problem. Can't see coming in to work.

    Enjoy the pens. It's addictive.

    Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

    Comment

    • Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • 3152
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
      • One of them there Toy saws

      #3
      Well, I thought it was going to be tight this weekend. I was supposed to start working on the flooring for our upstairs, but my truck isn't drivable for the moment. You see my inspection sticker expired on the 1st and I can't get it reinspected without the registration which I've misplaced and the DMV is giving me a hassle because the registration isn't due until July.

      Since I can't drive my truck without risking a ticket, that project has been put off for another week and I may get to play on the lathe after all.

      I have to admit, seeing all those little parts that are supposed to go togther is alittle intimidating. But since the kit came with the 7mm drill bit (which I wasn't expecting) I may have to drill some blanks so that I have more than just the standard rosewood to play with.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

      If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

      Comment

      • bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • 1371
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

        #4
        Did you get a pen press with the kit? It's handy to have something like that. There are ones from WC/Rockler or there have been some shop built version here in the forum. You can use a 1-handed pump grip clamp but it not as easy.

        I bet you the wife will snag one before too long. LOML got #2 off the lathe. Then another later for the matching pencil to the pen.

        It's really alot of fun to pens/pencils, I dunno why. You can buy something to write with for $.50 or make your own for $400.


        Bill
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

        Comment

        • Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 3152
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

          #5
          Originally posted by bmyers
          Did you get a pen press with the kit? It's handy to have something like that. There are ones from WC/Rockler or there have been some shop built version here in the forum. You can use a 1-handed pump grip clamp but it not as easy.

          I bet you the wife will snag one before too long. LOML got #2 off the lathe. Then another later for the matching pencil to the pen.

          It's really alot of fun to pens/pencils, I dunno why. You can buy something to write with for $.50 or make your own for $400.


          Bill
          no pen press as yet, I think I can use my DP with a scrap block mounted in the quill.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

          If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

          Comment

          • Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • 3152
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

            #6
            Well, the learning has started.

            1) sharp tools are happy tools. I figured I'd give the tools they sent a quick try. Dull Dull Dull = snag snag snag. Pulled out my other tools and was cutting like butter.

            2) the 2 part epoxy is probably alittle better than CA for glueing the brass to the wood. The CA I have is just too thin so I'm not getting good contact all around.

            3) when drilling your own blanks, get that hole in the dead center. trying to round a lopsided object that can spin semi-freely is a long process of snagging.

            In the end I did turn out a set of slimlines in rosewood that look okay. Nothing spectacular and the first I rushed so the finish isn't great.But they went together with no gaps.

            I lost two blanks (explosions).

            I expect I'll learn more tomorrow. I 90% of the way to rounding a set of Spalted Elm blanks (the lopsided ones) that is I don't screw up will be gorgeous.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

            If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

            Comment

            • bmyers
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2003
              • 1371
              • Fishkill, NY
              • bt 3100

              #7
              I've never liked CA for glueing blanks. I usually just end up glueing my fingers together and the brass falls out. 15 minute epoxy in Arizona is really about 2 1/2 minutes set time. Just make sure it doesn't get inside the tube. I had one lock itself onto my mandrel and had to get a new mandrel rod.

              I broke down and bought a pen blank vice for my DP. It makes it much easier to drill in the center when your blanks are not the same size. I also got the end mill and the pen press. I know you plan on using your DP as a pen press. Mine is easier to carry.

              Since you included no pictures of your rosewood pen, I'll just have to take your word for it I guess.


              Bill
              "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

              Comment

              • leehljp
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • 8803
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

                #8
                I finally started liking CA for gluing up blanks but the key was medium to thick CA. I put some in the hole, swab it with a stick, put the tube barely in the hole and add a little thick CA around the base so that it coats the tube as it is inserted. I use rubber gloves and a small tapered punch to insert the tube. (Then I usually leave a portion of the rubber glove on the blank - that aids me to see where I held the blank when I put the tubes in. )

                This is my habit only - I usually use CA on slimlines, epoxy on larger pens. The drawback to epoxy is that it seems to get more inside the tubes than CA does. I file it out though.
                Last edited by leehljp; 05-13-2007, 04:42 AM.
                Hank Lee

                Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

                Comment

                • Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 3152
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

                  #9
                  Originally posted by bmyers
                  I've never liked CA for glueing blanks. I usually just end up glueing my fingers together and the brass falls out. 15 minute epoxy in Arizona is really about 2 1/2 minutes set time. Just make sure it doesn't get inside the tube. I had one lock itself onto my mandrel and had to get a new mandrel rod.

                  I broke down and bought a pen blank vice for my DP. It makes it much easier to drill in the center when your blanks are not the same size. I also got the end mill and the pen press. I know you plan on using your DP as a pen press. Mine is easier to carry.

                  Since you included no pictures of your rosewood pen, I'll just have to take your word for it I guess.


                  Bill
                  Okay, now I HATE using the CA I have for gluing blanks. I found that it wasn't the chisels snagging, but the glue bonds breaking and the blank was spinning on the brass. I glued up three (Spalted Elm, Wenge, Padauk) last night with 2 part epoxy, hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

                  I had every intention of using my DP as a pen press, but got lazy so I'm just using a 6 inch quick clamp. Seems to be working fine. What can I say, I got tired of changing from bit, to barrel trimmer, to press blank. I'm lazy, sue me.

                  Okay, I'll get pictures up tonight. I did another one out of Eucalyptus, but the finish is very flat. I'm still experimenting in that department to find what I like best.

                  I'm noticing that long grain cut blanks don't have anything character really, so I think I may try some angled cut blanks to see how they look. I have some scrap Bamboo flooring also that I';m going to play with a bit.
                  Last edited by Russianwolf; 05-14-2007, 09:07 AM.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

                  If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                  Comment

                  • Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 3152
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

                    #10
                    Originally posted by leehljp
                    I finally started liking CA for gluing up blanks but the key was medium to thick CA. I put some in the hole, swab it with a stick, put the tube barely in the hole and add a little thick CA around the base so that it coats the tube as it is inserted. I use rubber gloves and a small tapered punch to insert the tube. (Then I usually leave a portion of the rubber glove on the blank - that aids me to see where I held the blank when I put the tubes in. )

                    This is my habit only - I usually use CA on slimlines, epoxy on larger pens. The drawback to epoxy is that it seems to get more inside the tubes than CA does. I file it out though.
                    Are you talking about the Gel CA? I've been looking locally and that's the only thing I see that might work.

                    I have to say, I'm enjoying the fact that I can have tangible results in 5-10 minutes. Nothing like quick rewards.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

                    If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                    Comment

                    • bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 1371
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

                      #11
                      CA does do a nice job as a finishing agent. It can leave a very shiny surface but I don't exactly know how to do it. I think you mix thin CA with something else.

                      Maybe someone who's done it can chime in on that. I wouldn't mind mastering that finish myself.


                      Bill
                      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

                      Comment

                      • leehljp
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • 8803
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Russianwolf
                        Are you talking about the Gel CA? I've been looking locally and that's the only thing I see that might work.

                        I have to say, I'm enjoying the fact that I can have tangible results in 5-10 minutes. Nothing like quick rewards.
                        Hobby shops and pen companies have medium and thick CA, very much like gel. But I think the medium and thick varieties have a few seconds more open time than gel CA.
                        Hank Lee

                        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

                        Comment

                        • BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • 1818
                          • Minneapolis, MN
                          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

                          #13
                          I've only used the medium CA from Woodcraft for the tubes. Never had an issue with the tubes releasing fromt he wood... Are you roughing up the outside of the brass tubes with sand paper to give it more bite?

                          Comment

                          • Russianwolf
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 3152
                            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                            • One of them there Toy saws

                            #14
                            Originally posted by BigguyZ
                            I've only used the medium CA from Woodcraft for the tubes. Never had an issue with the tubes releasing fromt he wood... Are you roughing up the outside of the brass tubes with sand paper to give it more bite?
                            yep. This is cheap glue. It's just too thin, so it glues on one side and not the other. Even though glue is all around.

                            The three I used the 2 part epoxy on came out with flying colors. I'll likely just keep doing that. Takes a bit more time and I leave them overnight to be sure, but it works which is the most important thing.

                            I just placed another order for another $100 worth of kits (Designer Series), blanks, and some EEE. These are the blanks that I hope my bosses will go for as client/employee gifts. The Admin Dir. and I even have a little joke in store for the monthly staff meetings. We are going to start giving out the "Whirling Dervish" award to the person who seems to be going in the most directions at once. (The award will be one of PSI's Ballbearing Tops in our colors.)

                            I did take a couple pictures last night, but they were horrible. I'll take more tonight and get them up. I have one kit at home ready to turn tonight, and I'll prep more blanks. Then I'll have to wait a day or so to do anything else.
                            Mike
                            Lakota's Dad

                            If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                            Comment

                            • Russianwolf
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 3152
                              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                              • One of them there Toy saws

                              #15
                              I know, I know, where are the pictures? I suck at it. You either can't see any detail or something else is wrong and the pens don't look like they do in person. I'm working on it. I'm stealing an idea I saw on Penturns.org and am going to position the pens on a piece of Manzanita Root I've had in my shop.... forever.

                              I'll will post pics this week.

                              I turned my first "Designer" series pens this weekend. I love turning these compared to turning the slimlines. I keep making the slimlines explode since they are so......THIN, but the designer pens leave alot more wood on the tube, so no explosions. I turned 2 to show my boss (hoping to turn them as gifts for clients). They came out very nice.
                              Mike
                              Lakota's Dad

                              If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

                              Comment

                              Working...