Some bowls - Natural edge.. many pics....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveR
    Established Member
    • Feb 2003
    • USA.

Some bowls - Natural edge.. many pics....

Finally getting a chance to upload some pics for X-mas presents. I started these in October..and thought I would have plenty of time..yeah right lol..
    xmas eve I was up late enough I was concerned I might bump into and surprise that jolly dude....

Many firsts in these for me....first bowl and take it from there. We made a total of 14 of these.

I was VERY happy to get LOML out in shop helping me do some turning..she really enjoyed it and had some great ideas! I forgot to tell her about the part about how it is sometimes difficult to give away items you had worked so hard on....but that feeling quickly erased when we gave the first one away to her mom on xmas eve...it was a touching moment...everyone musta had some sawdust in their eyes or somethin' - exceptin' for me of course ~

The darker woods are black walnut..the lighter ones are unknown.

I got the logs from my Sis/Brother-in-laws yard that were headed to the dump. They had been laying there for at least 10 years. I almost did not grab them because they had been laying there for so long..but was pleasantly surprised when I started cutting them up into turning blanks. All the bark had fell off most of them years ago.....so I think you would call these natural edge barkless bowls?? Some of the deeper cracks that developed over the years actually enhanced the look on some of them. We found a total of 9 nails - most large - embedded (overgrown) in the tree....had to regrind the bowl gouge a few times Could be good excuse to get a metal detector. Went thru 4 bandsaw blades as well.

One tool that helped me tremendoulsy was Bill Grumbines dvd..do not know him, just a very happy customer. When I got in a bind..and there were MANY of those...I studied his video again and again....Also I got this whole design idea from Jim Ketron who has shared some of his works with us on this forum. Thanks again Jim! I had already cut the candle openings on most of them, when he advised I should go with the fuel type of candles instead of tea candles for a potential fire concern- they do tend to get warm..as a just in case, I found a brush on fire retardant material to help with this.

the pics should follow........I could not figure out how to caption individual pics so some notes now..The first cluster of bowls are in various stages of finish but most of them are walnut....but shows different styles that developed due to nails, oops, bad wood....and just because ) One pic shows the tools "ghost" as the rough edge spins.

Thanks for looking!!
    Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveR; 01-13-2007, 02:32 PM.
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Very nice. I've never turned a natural edge bowl but those should inspire me to give it a try. I bet there were some really happy people on your gift list.

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• Jim Ketron
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005
      • Weber City, Va, USA.

Great Job Steve!
      Been on the look out for these and you did a wonderful job!
      They look great!
      (Have Chainsaw-Will Travel) please visit my web site http://home.earthlink.net/~jimandkrista/

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I like the idea of the candle holder in the center!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• lu50skeith
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006

Edge bowls

Very Nice !!!

What finish did you use?

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Beautiful turnings, Steve
            ken

Comment

• SteveR
              Established Member
              • Feb 2003
              • USA.

Thankyou for the kind words everyone! These were a blast.
              Originally posted by lu50skeith
              What finish did you use?
              First welcome to the forum!
              I struggled with the finish bigtime..in my flatwork I am used to solvent poly...I think most turners use a friction finish or buffed and I do not have the felt wheels for it, plus with the limiting size inside the bowls w/ the candle holders, I could not figure out how to do it safely, plus the non-constant edge factor. I had to resort to hand finishing . At first I tried BLO, then thinned BLO and even pure walnut oil..they darkened the walnut ALOT. Then tried Watco clear Danish oil and was able to wet-sand to cover up some tearout and it did not darken it as much as the other finishes. For a final cover finish I opted for a Deft brush on laquer (about 5 coats/light sanding between). The laquer is not the easiest stuff to work with as it is sorta self-leveling (not the best idea for round objects) but sets up QUICK, which was a HUGE saver for me.. a fast build up/multiple coats/evening! This method wont show up in the turners top 1,000 finish choices, but with the cold and an urgent deadline...it saved me.
              Steve

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

They look great!
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...