• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guycox
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Romulak, VA, USA.

Adding a flywheel and treadle to a Jet Mini

Has anyone ever added a treadle to a Jet Mini so they can do turnings at fairs and demos where there isn't a AC power source - I thougtht perhaps a member of this august group had already done the engineering -- It seems that with the open frame and ready access to the pulleys that mounting a flywheel and treadle directly below it would be almost trivial. In a pinch I can almost see using a old sewing machine base --
    Comments? Jeers?

Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
    What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

I'm sorry, I don't have and answer for you but.... with the reputation for being cheap that this group has.... my first thought was just how much electricity can a jet mini use and just how penny pinching can a guy get? Interesting idea. I hope someone here has figured it out, I'd like to see it.
    BTW... I put myself in the penny pinching club, one glance around my shop would give me away Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

You been watching The Woodworkers Shop on Public TV, Guy? ;-D
      How about a small treadmill, one cat, one dog, ....never mind!
      Seriously, the smallest generator available would work, so would a small inverter to use with your car/truck battery, HF has them very reasonable.
      If you proceed with the treadle I'd like to see it, really.
      Good luck

Comment

• Rob R
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • West, Michigan.

i would second the marine battery/inverter idea. way less "investment" especially of your time. and it would more accurately show your audience turning since electricity was made available to the masses--Roy Underhill and the woodwright shop not withstanding.

rob

Comment

Working...