• Show
Clear All
  • gordons
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

BOSCH 10.8V Pocket Driver

Anyone taken the plunge on this little beast yet? $129 at the BORG. If so, I'd be keen to hear how it performs.

My application will be primarily removing and reinstalling cabinet doors (kitchen, bathroom and the like). The old B&D 3.6V doesn't cut it anymore, and the new little SKIL lithium seems like a good replacement for the B&D, but not much more. I could be wrong about this.

After manhandling a few dozen doors with one hand while aligning hinges, balancing screws and holding the big Makita at the ready with the other hand, one becomes quite adept at contortionism. The Mak (14.4V) is a great tool, but just too heavy for this kind of work. One slip off a precariously balanced screwhead and you're guaranteed a nice gouge hole in the frame!

So, I'm looking for something light, fast and easy to fling around. I read a BORG review that said the max rpm is 400. Haven't found one that's charged up enough to evaluate if this is sufficient.

Any help, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Gordon
    I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
  • Tom Hintz
    • Feb 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.

I have the Bosch Pocket Driver and use it constantly. (See the lnk below for my review of it) I love the size and though I initially thought I'd use it in cramped quarters, use it for lots of screw driving tasks rather than the full-sized drill/driver.
    It's not "fast" but for me, has plenty of speed for driving screws. It also has a surprising amount of torque and has driven all of the screw sizes I have used since getting it. The battery also lasts far longer than I anticipated. New technology that works! Who would have thunk it!

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bps20rvu.html
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• gordons
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Charlotte, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the info and review Tom. Seems like a good device even though it appears a little pricey. One main difference between this and the old B&D that I found on similar devices. The B&D could be used as a long tool, or could be folded into the L shape as required by means of a hinge in the middle of the tool. This allowed you to use the B&D in a multitude of different applications and even supply your own physical torque when required to give it a boost in the straight tool format. And it really needed that torque a bit too often.

As you made reference to the 50+ brigade in your review........., I somehow posted this in the wrong forum - should have been posted in the Tool Talk Forum. Mod, can you move? Or just leave where it is? Thanks
      Gordon

Comment

• gordons
        Established Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Charlotte, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmmm....... I just took a look at Lowes, http://tinyurl.com/k28mj and they have this Bosch implement for $20 more. Getting to be dearer by the minute.
        Gordon

Comment

• heavydutytools
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2006

I hope they prove to be nice - I have a few dozen on the way

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I've got one of those, although they're called the Bosch Gsr 10.8v Li over here. Cracking little tool for fitting cabinet doors (even narrow ones) and excellent for driving screws in dark places, like in the far corner of a three-foot corner base unit - the light is really useful, much more so than you'd think.

The only thing I don't like, although I've got used to it now, is that the action is not braked like my larger drivers are, so you can get some run-on after releasing the trigger. No problem ordinarily, but with small fine screws it can mean that you could over-drive them if not careful.

Like all other Lithium-powered tools, the power doesn't gradually deteriorate, it goes all of a sudden, but that's no big deal with two batteries and a quick charger.

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Bollox
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I love mine. Like everything Bosch, it seems a little expensive when you buy it, but once that shock is over you like it more and more the longer you own it.
              Something no-one else has mentioned - the batteries charge in 30 minutes. i've yet to run the second one down before the first is charged again.
              The little LED light seemed a little gimmicky when I first saw it, but again it is actually very useful.
              Mike

Comment

• gordons
                Established Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the info and replies.

I broke down and ordered the model PS10-2 (with articulating head) from Amazon today. Price is $149.95 - add something to take it over $150 and use code ALLTOOLS for a $25 instant discount. Only problem is that they are out of stock and estimated shipping dates between late October and early November if you are prepared to wait. Otherwise, Lowes have both models PS10-2 ($149) and PS20-2 ($129). BORG only have the PS20-2.
                Gordon

Comment

Working...