• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

turning small projects on a big lathe

I'm trying to decide if I should (or even can $$$ wise) grab a mini lathe, knowing that later I'll probably go for a bigger lathe. Any thoughts on turning pens and such on a large lathe??

thanks,
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

I started out on a medium sized POS. Went to the HF 7406 and like that much more. Ended up getting a Jet mini anyways just so I could put it in my "other shop" that has AC. For pens and small stuff it's great to have around. But I still have the HF for bigger stuff.

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Started with a Craftsmen POS, went to a very small Carbatec, a large Grizzly, a Jet Mini and then a Nova 3000. All of the lathes (with the exception of the Craftsmen) could do pens with no issues as well as many other things. I currently have the Jet Mini and the Nova and I use them both. I like turning rather small detailed objects and I like using the mini for that. I have it quite high as I find I like the control I gain from the height of the lathe on small items. I have however also used the larger Nova to turn small objects. I like both of my lathes very much and will keep them both but you need to think about what you want to turn. If big bowls is going to be your thing than get the larger lathe of front but if you want to turn small kits and such mostly than get the smaller mini and it is on sale right now with a chuck.

If you do get the mini and later get a bigger one you will end up keeping them both. I hardly ever hear of anyone getting rid of their mini.

Ken

Comment

Working...