Is the Jet Mini limited to turning pens only?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Is the Jet Mini limited to turning pens only?

With this lathe

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

will the only thing I will be able to turn are pens or can it be used for other applications. When it says the swing over tool rest is 7.5 inches does that mean I will be able to turn a bowl 7.5 inches in diameter? I want to buy something that will last and be able to grow into. I don't have any experience turning so I'd love to hear the opinions of those that do have experience.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I'm not a turner, but saw the need to make an occasional spindle when I bought Ginger's lathe so I added the bed extension.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools out.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	779610
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Typical Gunny.. Give em an inch to work with and they'll squeeze out a mile! :>)

Highest regards there, "Gunny Pappy"...

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I don't think that model was primarily designed as a pen lathe although it is widely used that way. They do have a smaller pen model lathe that is not well accepted by most experienced pen turners.

The model that you linked to is used just as much for small bowls and spindles as much as and maybe more than for pens.
        Last edited by leehljp; 08-03-2006, 10:18 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ryan.s
          • Feb 2006
          • So Cal
          • Ridgid TS3650

Pappy that cabinet you built for Ginger's lathe is a work of art. I saw it earlier in the completed projects section. Mind building me one too? =) Does Ginger like the lathe so far? Would she recommend it? What is the real working max capacity in terms of diameter? Is it worth getting the variable speed model or should I stick with the speed change by spindle model. Sorry for all the questions. I feel very lucky that a veteran member has had first hand experience with the lathe and definately want to take advantage of your experience. Thanks!!

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

In theory you could turn a 9-10 diameter bowl or plate. Without the extension, center to center it's about 16 inches.

I've turned pens, bowls, lidded boxes, drum sticks, "tire checkers", drop spindles, machine tool parts and handles to cover the metal levers of the Jet lathe itself. I've had it since the fathers day sale at Woodcraft.

It's small enough to fit in my "secondary" shop that has A/C so I end up using it for everything I can. My big lathe is in the garage shop, no A/C.

The VS model is nice although you don't really get away from gear changes because you still have a hi and a low for the VS model. I don't have the VS model. If you were a production turner you'd prolly go with the VS. It's just a hobby for me so I got time for gear changes.

It's listed for $357 now on Amazon. I wouldn't touch it for that much.

Bill
            "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• ryan.s
              • Feb 2006
              • So Cal
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by bmyers
              In theory you could turn a 9-10 diameter bowl or plate. Without the extension, center to center it's about 16 inches.

I've turned pens, bowls, lidded boxes, drum sticks, "tire checkers", drop spindles, machine tool parts and handles to cover the metal levers of the Jet lathe itself. I've had it since the fathers day sale at Woodcraft.

It's small enough to fit in my "secondary" shop that has A/C so I end up using it for everything I can. My big lathe is in the garage shop, no A/C.

The VS model is nice although you don't really get away from gear changes because you still have a hi and a low for the VS model. I don't have the VS model. If you were a production turner you'd prolly go with the VS. It's just a hobby for me so I got time for gear changes.

It's listed for $357 now on Amazon. I wouldn't touch it for that much.

Bill
              Thanks Bill

Is this the model you have?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Comment

• bmyers
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2003
                • Fishkill, NY
                • bt 3100

Yes that's the one I have except, the Woodcraft deal included a Novachuck midi for $20 more. Couldn't pass it up.

Also note: I said 16 inches center to center. This is without the bed extsion that Pappy shows. As far as the diameter, I just held a tape measure to my lathe and guested. If it says 7.5 is max then I suppose thats it. That's pretty large though.

You originally linked to the VS model. I didn't notice at the time but yeah it costs few dollars more. If I had unlimited money, I prolly would have bought the VS. You can get a PSI, General, Grizzy or other VS models for less than the Jet depending on who is running what deal at the time. Look around at those also. For me, I don't mind changing the belt pulleys because I stop the lathe to look at what I'm doing anyway. If I need to change the speed it's not a biggie. But it would be nice I suppose.

Then, once you get the lathe, you can spend twice that on: chisels, a sharpening setup, chucks, finishes, a pen mandrel.

Then go on to produce a pen that costs over $600 (or a pencil).. Seriously though, it's addictive, pens especially.

There is a member here who made his own VS with the standard (non-VS) Jet. No belt changing at all with that one. It goes 0-Max RPM with just a turn of the dial. I don't that it was cheap motor though.

Bill
                "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I'm another very satisfied Jet mini owner. I also have the bed extension, which I think is a very good deal (~$50?).

Mine is not VS, and I don't think I'd spend $50 extra to get it. When I change speed, I'm usually making big enough changes that I'd need to change the pulley on a VS model, anyway. For example, I turn at a medium speed, I change speed to sand at a very low speed, then I apply a friction finish at a very high speed. I think all those changes would be pulley changes on a VS model.

It's a fun tool in its own right, and has become a great complement to my rectilinear woodworking as well.

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

• ryan.s
                    • Feb 2006
                    • So Cal
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks for your comments guys. Very insightful! I guess that does it, I'll probably go for the non VS model in the jet mini.

Comment

• mater
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • SC, USA.

I don't know if they still have any of them but Woodcraft had a Jet lathe and Nova midi chuck in a package deal a couple of months ago.
                      Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• ryan.s
                        • Feb 2006
                        • So Cal
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Anyone ever try making a riser block for this lathe? I was watching an episode of Woodworks and David had installed custom riser blocks on one of his lathes.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Liberty, SC, USA.
                          • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by ryan.s
                          Anyone ever try making a riser block for this lathe? I was watching an episode of Woodworks and David had installed custom riser blocks on one of his lathes.
                          Saw that too, Ryan. I'm thinking of asking my machinist bud about it, but have concerns about finding a suitable belt to fit. The Jet belt is 'grooved', not a standard v-belt.

Comment

Working...