• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Is a cheap lathe just a waste of time?

I'm interested in picking up a cheap lathe to get into spindle work. There's a local tool store that has a used lathe for about $50. The unit looks a lot like this one on ebay, except it's a 1 HP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2HP-40-Inch-4-...QQcmdZViewItem

I know this is not a decent lathe. However, is it good enough for someone who has not ever used a lathe and doesn't want to drop $300 on a tiny benchtop model just to turn a couple of legs? Or would I be asking for trouble/ wasting my $?

Thanks!
  • Tom Hintz
    • Feb 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.

You always take some risk with a used machine. especially when you don't know the person who maintained it.
    I personally have spent way too much money on cheap machines on my way to the ones I should have bought in the first place. Turning in particular tends to get out of hand very quickly. The "I'll just turn a few legs" syndrome is very common and just as frequently short lived. Once the turning addiction sets in, and it always seems to do just that, you can out grow a cheap lathe in a very short time.
    I guess the best case scenario is the cheap lathe can be used for jobs you don't want to do on the good one you buy a little later. I know a few guys who have two lathes for precisely that reason.

Think hard on if the machine you are looking for is capable of more than the little jobs you may be thinking about right now. Keep in mind that your project list is certain to expand quickly and you want to be able to do at least some of those other jobs on that lathe.
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

I only buy used tools and guns when I know the item from experience. For a lathe I'd take an experienced turner with me to evluate it as I know from nothing about lathes.
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

IMHO, is you're really serious about, the majority of "cheap, and I mean CHEAP" tools are a total waste of money.

Either you can't get them to function properly, they break after a short miserable life, they're inaccurate and what you save on the price, you spend triple on antacids for the heart burn they give you.

These are my feeling, and I'm sticking with them. Now where did I place my Zantac.

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The HF 34706 lathe which frequently goes on sale for around $160 is a tried and true performer. Has served me well for a few years now. And it is big enough for some larger spindles.

Comment

• ExYankee
            Established Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Pleasant View, Tn.
            • BT3100-frankensaw

This is the same as the one I started out with. It has an odd sized spindle thread so it’s hard to find jaws face plates etc. It’s completly made from sheet metal and the beds can flex a bit. Harbor Freight has this lathe on sale most of the time for $99. I have a local EBay tool liquidator near by that I get these for $9.99 and I buy them just for the 4 speed power head (working on a thickness sander) I think a better solution is to get a used cast iron one on eBay with a “Pickup Only” option. What part of the country are you in? I’m sure sooner or later one will appear near you. The “pickup only” also puts you in much smaller bidding pool to compete against. Another option is search for local government auctions, like //www.govdeals.com for school woodshop equipment, its almost always been well cared for (assuming it hasn’t been sitting in a back parking lot for a year).
            John Dyer
            ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Clemson, SC, USA
              • Rigid TS3650

I found my 60 yr old Delta in a barn near my house. $150, runs like a champ and its built like a tank. Its worth the time checking out your local area before you spring to ebay. Maybe call a couple of cabinet shops or schools in your area and see what they know.
              Ken Weaver
              Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Doug Jones
                Established Member
                • Oct 2004
                • Indiana
                • Delta 36-444

Originally posted by gerti
                The HF 34706 lathe which frequently goes on sale for around $160 is a tried and true performer. Has served me well for a few years now. And it is big enough for some larger spindles.
                If your going to go inexpensive this is also the lathe I would recommend.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've decided to hold off on the lathe until I can get the rest of my workshop set up. And until I can afford a better model. I was thinking of getting a Jet mini lathe w/ bed extension. Would that be enough to get started doing spindals? I'm not too big on the idea of bowls, but who knows...

Comment

• Doug Jones
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Indiana
                    • Delta 36-444

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                    a Jet mini lathe w/ bed extension. Would that be enough to get started doing spindals?
                    This would be another excellent option.

Comment

• hitekrednek
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Ft Worth, TX, USA.
                      • BT3100

Another good option that should price out better than the Jet would be the Rikon woodfast. I bought one recently and can't say enough good things about it.
                      I can only please one person a day ........

Hugh C.

Comment

Working...