• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Advice needed on Turning Tools

On the way out of town last Thursday, I stopped by Woodcraft to see what I could get during their 10% off sale. I had been eying some of the Pinnacle turning tools as I want to start turning and picked up the set of 5 tools for $124 less 10%. Later, I did a search and find out that PSI has similar tools much cheaper. I had just received the PSI catalog and they have a set of 6 tools for $70. I am seriously considering returning the tools to Woodcraft and ordering the set from PSI, along with some additional tools.

For a beginner, what additional tools should I consider? The PSI set comes with 3/8” spindle gouge, 7/8” roughing gouge, 1” oval skew, 3/8” bowl gouge, 3/16” diamond parting tool, and ¾” round nose scraper. Or should I wait and order additional tools as I find a need.

PSI also has a line of ‘Benjamin’s Best’ High Speed M2 Steel Chisels. I am not sure if these are identical to the set of 6 tools. Any comments?

How do any of these compare to Woodcraft’s Pinnacle line?

Should I consider ordering from PSI or step down and get a set from Harbor Freight? I don't want to start out top $ but would like something that I will get some use from.

TIA

Ken
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Ken, based on my experience with the 3 brands you mention, the Pinnacles are several levels above the other 2. The steel sharpens easier and better and holds an edge better. The ~$40 set from HF are quite good too. My least favorite of those 3 are the PSI brand and their Benjamin's best.
    Others may have different opinions, turning tools are somewhat of a personal preference thing. IMO if you hold on to the Pinnacle's you won't regret it.
    ken

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I agree with Ken, the quality of the tools varies quite a bit. The HF tools are great to learn with, especially the grinding. But they really don't hold their edge all that good, you will want to upgrade eventually. The HF tools can then be re-gound for special purposes.

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

I use mostly Crown but have a Pinnacle 1/4" gouge that I love.
        I prefer to pay a bit more for quality.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

Thanks for the input. I was given a set of Craftsman HSS tools that I can do a little practice on sharpening. I think I will probably keep the Pinnacle set and go from there.

Ken

Comment

• Doug Jones
            Established Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Indiana
            • Delta 36-444

I'm from the other end of the spectrum, I think that the PSI "Benjamin's Best" tools are great. Especially if your just starting out. A 5/8" bowl gouge for $20 is a lot better to learn with for sharpening and such than a $100 Crown. Plus for a newbie such as myself, it holds an edge rather well. Besides how long does it take to put an edge back on the tool? (not long, 2 minutes)

Comment

Working...