• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pa-Paw
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2005
    • Lake Dallas, Texas, USA.

Box Elder?

I was given a tree trunk and was told that it was a Box Elder. The splotched bowl is my fourth attempt at bowl turning. It took a bit of super glue and epoxy to finish, but I finally got it done.
    Attached Files
  • boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

Looks real good. You said in another thread there wasn't any red in it but there's a litlte peeking out in this piece.

You never know what you'll find when you turn a chunk of wood. You might find a few pleasant surprises yet.

Good work.

BobL.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Jim Ketron
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005
      • Weber City, Va, USA.

Thats Box Elder for sure!
      Nice Piece Pa-Paw
      (Have Chainsaw-Will Travel) please visit my web site http://home.earthlink.net/~jimandkrista/

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

Yeah, it could very well be box elder. The red streaks are like spalting in maple. just because it doesn't have the streaks doesn't mean it's not box elder.

Very nice.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Pa-Paw
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2005
          • Lake Dallas, Texas, USA.

Thanks

Thanks for the kudos, fellows. Turning seems to be sort of like practicing medicine. There seems to be several prescriptions for any one thing. If I keep it up, I guess I’ll get better, but I’ll also be broke. From studying the various forums, it looks like I’m trying to turn bowls with spindle turning tools. I have made sort of a bowl gouge from an old chisel, but it looks like I need to save up and get some real gouges. Wish me luck.

Comment

Working...