• Show
Clear All
  • Doug Jones
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Indiana
    • Delta 36-444

Experimental candle holder

Inspired by some vases I saw at the St Louis wood show, I thought I'd give this (started out as a vase) candle holder a try. I used a left over piece of the box elder that I got from Kevin Gerstenecker last year. Measures at about 10" tall and 3" wide at the base bottom. No finish is applied as this was just an experiment.

How I got the slat looking walls????
    I took the box elder blank roughly 13" tall and 4" square and cut it length wise in 4 equal pieces, so then I had 4 pieces at 13" tall X 2" square.
    I took the 4 pieces and tightly taped them back together at the top and bottom.
    I put the taped blank on the lathe and rounded off all the edges down the middle approx. 6 1/2" long. leaving about 3 1/2 " still sqare on both ends.
    Removed the blank, removed the tape and then inverted the blanks (dry fit) so that all the rounded sides are now facing the inside. Once I found a good fit with seams not showing all that good, I glued the blanks together and clamped and left to dry for a couple of days.
    Remounted it to the lathe and turned what you see below. Hollowed the end deep enough to fit a small candle.
    Pucker factor on a scale of 1 to 10 is 7 1/2.
    As always open comments are welcome and encouraged.
    Attached Files
  • boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

That's pretty neat. Also seems a little magical. I must be dense as I've read how you did it a few times and just can picture that making an open space in the middle that large.

Might have to do a little experimentation. My lathe has been idle too long now.

Thanks for sharing.

BobL.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

That is a very neat design Doug. Thanks for posting it.
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Jim Ketron
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2005
        • Weber City, Va, USA.

Nice Inside out turning Doug!
        Great looking candle holder!
        (Have Chainsaw-Will Travel) please visit my web site http://home.earthlink.net/~jimandkrista/

Comment

• tribalwind
          • Feb 2004
          • long island, ny.

ive always wanted to do one of the inside-out ornaments, this is nice too
          now what about making the inside function as a candle storage compartment somehow
          namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

I have to try that. Very nice!
            John Hunter

Comment

Working...