• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

what is needed for

since I'm gearing up to get my lathe. I wanted to ask the "experts" what else I will NEED, or may WANT to get to turn chessmen.

Please let me know first what would be NEEDED.

I'm looking at the PSI Turncrafter Pro lathe as it is inexpensive and preforms reasonably well. If needed I could get the starter set which supposedly inclues everything to get started on pen turning, as I would assume the needs are fairly similar for chessmen. I would prefer not to sink $300+ into this up front, but get what I need to learn. Of course, once I get the hang of it, I'll probably get more.......
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Sounds like a fun project to me for sure. I am thinking of what I would need at a bare minimum to accomplish this task if I were doing it.

1)Well obviously you need the lathe, a mini will do just fine and I kind of like turning small detailed objects on my mini.
    2)To hold the piece to turn you have a lot of options but with a very small budget a screw chuck could be easily made using the small face plate that comes with the lathe.
    3)Tools, I have been sitting here thinking about it (home today “working” virtual) and I think I could do this project with 1 spindle gouge sharpened with a long fingernail grind. A 3/8” would be preferable as I find that the most versatile.
    4)A grinder or means to sharpen the tool.

I would suggest drawing the profile of the chess pieces on paper using the computer or by hand. Draw the profile to scale and then cut it out. You will have to do this for each of the different families of chess pieces, ie: Pawns, Knights, Bishops etc. In this way you can maintain consistency from piece to piece. A little difference adds character but too much difference may ruin the look.

Anyhow, this sounds like a lot of fun so if you need my help, tutorials on different tasks, advice or anything just ask. Interesting challenge.

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

Sounds like fun.
      Here is a book that may be helpful
      www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5341
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment