X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karrlot
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2003

what kind of pen turning mandrel shoudl I get

I've been turning for a few years and want to try my hand at turning pens. I'm looking at getting a starter set from PSI. It looks like I could either use a mt#2 or an 8TPI mandrel. Any thoughts on which is better? Is the Penn State Ind. kit decent, or should I look elsewhere? Any general advice on equipment would be appriciated.
    Thanks,

Joel
  • Doug Jones
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Indiana
    • Delta 36-444

I recommend (POC) Pens of Color.
    http://pocwoodworking.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=290

Comment

• boblon
      • Aug 2003
      • Florida, USA.

Joel,
      I am no expert but hopefully others will chime in.

If you've been turning a few years I'm wondering if you have any collet chucks. If so, I believe the perferred method is to just buy the mandrel rod and use a collet chuck. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you will get less runnout like this.

And the rods are a lot cheaper than the whole mandrel with taper should you need to replace it or get more than one.

Hopefull Ken or Whaler (or one of the other more experienced turners) will pop in and give you some more info.

BTW, if you haven't visited kwgeorges site there is a lot of good info there.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/

Of course a mandrel on an appropriate taper will work just fine.

Just my .02

BobL.
      "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Jim Boyd
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

What Bob said But I don't have a collet set and use a #2 taper and mandrel[V]
        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Double ditto what Bob said, but substitute a Jacobs chuck for the collet chuck, if that's all you have.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

I got my mandrel from PSI--#1 MT. It does fine--no runout problem. It doesn't get any simpler than that. Just be careful to retighten the tailstock periodically if needed and not to overtighten, which can cause the rod to bend.

I prefer the MT to the threaded type because it's easy to remove when you're finished turning.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

We pretty much went into detail on this question in a previous thread;

http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...27&whichpage=1

With all that though I would like to reiterate the need for a proper angle on the tailstock live center. The question came up again the other day at Rockler when one of the employees was asking me why all his pens came out oblong. To answer his question I picked up one of the Rockler mandrel rods and one of the new in the box jet live centers. As I explained to him, the common mandrel rods are tapered on the end at 60 degrees while these rather cheap live centers points are taper much steeper. In that you will have problems. One thing to do when getting into pen making or any kit making that requires a mandrel is to purchase a live center that comes with a 60 degree point.

Comment

Working...