Remaining upgrades to the shop, one of them bugs me a LOT...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Remaining upgrades to the shop, one of them bugs me a LOT...

So after figuring out what I like, and on't about my various bools and setup over the years, I have been slowly but surely upgrading my tools, honestly a LOT of them are being upgraded away from....

The new Bilt Hard benchtop VS 12" drill press replaced the old Northern Industrial floor model drill press. The Northern Industrial found a home with a College friend that wanted a drill press for metal working applications. This will do perfectly for him.
    The Wen sharpening system didn't eliminate the Ryobi 8" bench grinder, but rather relegated it to metal shaping applications not sharpening. The Wolverine jig will probably go up for sale once I get the hang of the Wen system...
    The Wahuda 10" allegedly helical head benchtop jointer replaced the Sunhill SM-150B 6" regular knife benchtop jointer. The Sunhill needs a new home.
    The Metabo HPT 12" double bevel sliding miter saw, which is what i wanted when I bought he HF, replaced the Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 12" single bevel sliding miter saw.
    Grizzly GO458Z is actually an addition that is recent, no replacement for anything. I have been wanting a wide drum sander for years. Got one now.

That leaves the following tools un-replaced although not untouched.
    Central Machinery 2HP Dust collector. I have the system more or less right where I want it. For now. IF I upgrade at all, I will do a side flip / 2 stage conversion using a Super Dust Deputy 5/4. But happy with what I have for now.
    Central Machinery 14" 4 speed band saw. This has more or less been hot rodded to meet Grizzly GO555X specs, including blade tensioner, dust ports etc... and has a 6" riser block. And after going with the Kreg fence, a nicer fence...
    Central Machinery 12x36 lathe. Other than I want to build a storage / ballast bench to mount the lathe to, I couldn't ask for a better lathe in the space I have to do the work I do.
    Central Machinery Mortising machine. Does what it needs to do reliably. No need to upgrade.
    Central Pnuematic 29 gallon oil lubricated air compressor. I would LOVE a big Maxxair 80 gallon 30 SCFM compressor, but let's face it, The Central Pneumatic will run everything I need it to and does it well... Having overhead IS nice, but not neccessary.
    Rigid EB4424 Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander. This thing gets used a freakish amount. I see a LOT of alternatives on the market now, but even with a decade plus since I got mine, I still see none better...
    Dremel 16" Scroll Saw. It was a cheap Craigslist find. Crudded up and hit with a freight train full of ugly, but it works well enough. I might replace it, if I start using it way more and its looks annoy me, but until then, nope...
    Hitachi KM12VC routers x2. I bought two of them. Need I say more?
    Grizzly GO572 Hanging air fliter.

And the tools up for consideration.
    Ryobi BT3100 with wide table kit. I found the wide table unmanageable, and just , bleh. Yeah bleh.... I would like a nice cast iron tabled, belt drive, SAFER saw. Giving serious consideration to a SawStop Professional Cabinet saw with the 30" T Glide fence. Have not decided between 1.75 or 3HP models though. That would require I upgrade my Dado stack as well, but worth the sacrifice.

My one tool that gives me the heebie jeebies to get rid of.
    Ryobi AP1301 planer. I REALLY want a Wahuda 13" Helical planer, but do NOT want to get rid of the Ryobi as the Ryobi was a valentines day gift from my late wife. I may replace it and find a way to make a place of honor for it somewhere in the shop... I might end up building a display box for it mounted up above the freezer. That should get it out of the way, and keep it in my shop...

I have been pondering replacing my Harbor Freight half blind dovetail jig, my MLCS Pins & Tails through dovetails jigs, and my shop made box joint jigs with the MLCS Master Joinery Jig. This would allow me to do all 3 joint types, and multiple sizes of each, but I just can't bring myself to do it. The thought process there would be to reduce clutter and simplify shop storage, but meh...

And on the facility front, the 18K BTU (1.5 ton) mini split heat pump is scheduled to be delivered next week... So I need to make space to get it installed.
    Last edited by dbhost; 10-21-2023, 05:44 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...