• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

My Dado Circular Saw

Back in October last year, I mentioned a Dado in a circular saw that I wanted, and at that time I did not know that such a machine was available. I began to formulate a plan in my mind and came up with a Metabo with a dado set. So I bought a Metabo, could not find my 6 inch Dado set (Son in law has it I think) and bought another stack set off of eBay. I also bought a reasonably priced wobble, but after fooling with it for several hours, decided that was not going to work the way I wanted it to work. Then I began to take the saw apart (specifically blade housing) and looking at which parts I would have to change or make. All I really needed was a special made spacer, a longer bolt, and a back side washer to move the blade away from the housing. The original washer was almost 3/16 in thick and moved the blade too far out.

I have worked on it off and on since Christmas. The hardest part was the spacer and I sure could have made a better one if I had had a metal lathe . . . but I made one that worked without a metal lathe out of aluminum. I should have taken a picture of the part, but once I had it on and it was working, I am not taking it off for a while!

The Spacer: I started off with a 5/8" aluminum spacer, 5/16 hole. Pictures 3 & 4 below show some spacers, but not the ones I used. Those are 1/4" hole, I had a pack of 5/16 hole, which is what I used. I had to guesstimate the length needed, cut it off and file the shoulders to match the shape of the shoulder washer that clamps the blade on. the Spacer took me about 2 1/2 hours of work, with trial and adjust, trial and adjust.

Picts below of the first and cut that was about 1/32 too small for 3/4" boards. I took it apart, made a spacer adjustment and it was about 1/64th too small. Apart a third time and then I clamped a straight edge across and made a cut. Perfect! Next cut, Perfect!

No Guard, so I have to keep full presence of mind at ALL times to not set it down until it 100% stops. This saw has its own bag. Not for loan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	board out.jpg Views:	3 Size:	195.9 KB ID:	850398

Click image for larger version  Name:	Board in. Saw.jpg Views:	3 Size:	150.9 KB ID:	850396 Click image for larger version  Name:	side View Saw.jpg Views:	3 Size:	161.4 KB ID:	850399

BELOW: Dado not perfectly clean but very acceptable for shelf dado. That is an old barn board and it had dado tear out on the end. I will try tomorrow on a good board to see how well I can cut without tearout.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dado Cut.jpg Views:	3 Size:	130.3 KB ID:	850400
    Attached Files
    Last edited by leehljp; 05-01-2022, 06:38 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I forgot to mention that Festool has an attachment for their circular saw for making it into a dado circular saw, so my idea is not original; I also found a link last fall to a popular wood working magazine that mentioned using a circular saw for dado usage but it was for the wobble type. I did not want the wobble type so I kept formulating it in my mind until I was ready. Today, I needed to make some shelves for LOML to replace some that were too narrow in the pantry. SO instead of making the shelves, I told her I was repairing my tool that I needed to make her shelves. Spent the whole afternoon, but I got it done.

Big load off my mind and now I have a portable dedicated 3/4" dado saw!
    Last edited by leehljp; 04-29-2022, 07:05 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Nice job Hank.

Comment

Working...