• Show
Clear All
  • mm1992
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2019
    • Columbus, OH
    • BT3100

Jointer setup - how close to coplanar?

I finally got my G0656x and it made it into the basement (without disassembling the tables) and is assembled. Using a straight edge, I measured the indeed as flat as I can tell, and the outfeed has a slight dip of .004" on one smaller area. Not perfect, but I think that qualifies as woodworking perfect.

Once I verified the tables were flat, I checked that they were coplanar. There is a slight drop on the outfeed (or indeed, depending on what you're referencing the measurements off of) of about .005" over a 2' span, so probably about .008 over the length of the table.

At this point, I'm not sure if that's good enough, or if I should shim the table a little to bring that drop closer to 0. I checked the gibs, and made sure they both sat tight, so I'm not dealing with a loose table. Fractionally speaking, I'm dealing with like 1/128" over 3'. If I cut a piece of wood with those tolerances I would be happy, but should I be happy setting up a machine to the same tolerances?
  • d_meister
    Established Member
    • Feb 2009
    • La Conner, WA.
    • BT3000

I'm guessing that it's a new unit from Grizzly?
    Maybe give them a call and find out what they would suggest and verify the tolerances. Presumably, all that cast iron is assembled together and then run through the surface grinder and should be inherently co-planer. It's not like they have to take a bunch of parts manufactured and finished separately and make them true to one another. It may be as simple as cleaning the companion joints. Judging by the measurements you are able to develop, I'm assuming that your straight edge is machinist-true. I have a machined straight-edge for checking cylinder heads, and that thing gets me into more trouble trying to get things perfect. I can't tell you how much time I spent going over my antique Rockwell 8" x 72". Ultimately a twisted and bowed piece of lumber becomes straight by holding it down to the out-feed table. It just shouldn't turn too much of a corner transitioning from in-feed to out-feed. The cutter head to out-feed adjustment is really the most deserving of very close scrutiny for the best results.

Comment

Working...