• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

First Lathe

lOML and I took turning class at Woodcraft, and enjoyed it. Our tiptoe entry into the dark side is from HF.

test 1.... centers met
    test 2... mt2 mandrel fits perfect

initial impression..not bad.

considered PSI large and Shop Fox.
    PSI charges shipping...... lots. Shop fox uses mt1.

Ordered pen kits. Will update later.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Welcome to the world of pen making and constant purchasing of new tools and necessities and pen kits!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011

Three pens ------- a couple of blunders ----- but all attributable to user error, rather than machine error.

It looks like Harbor Freight actually has a decent product.

My biggest complaint is the cheap lock downs (tool lock and tail stock lock).

They can interfere with the larger sled locks on the tail stock and tool rest.

I bought a MT2 drill chuck that doesn't seem perfectly centered ---- but I have other ways to drill.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by durango dude
        Three pens ------- a couple of blunders ----- but all attributable to user error, rather than machine error.
        Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted! I have learned that there are a hundred ways to say how to do something on making a pen, but what matters the most is in the experience of learning for yourself.

Here is a link on the IAP forum that I started 10 years ago (wow, I didn't realize it was that long ago, until I looked at the link. Also, BELOW is an PDF attachment that is almost out of date, but lots of good basic terminology and ideas.
        I am on a fact finding mission. Can you help? What do you wish you had known earlier in pen turning? or in different words: Knowing what you know now - IF you could go back and start over in pen turning - what would you skip, change or do differently? answers for instance: - I wish...
        Attached Files
        Hank Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

I believe the traditional congratulatory greeting is "Welcome to the slippery slope!" Looking forward to seeing pictures of your turnings.

Which model lathe did you get? The medium sized one is a ringer for the Rockler Excelsior lathe I have, a very nice starter lathe. I have the HF 34706 (larger one), which has been great so far... but there's quite possibly a Grizzly G0838 with my name on it possibly mid-year. Did I mention there's a slippery slope?
          Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 01-25-2019, 04:31 PM.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Interesting... I've been looking at the HF bench-top lathe, on and off, for a couple of years now. Not so much for making pens, but I'd love to make a chess set or two to start with. HF is the only retailer in the area to even see a lathe of any kind and I certainly have bought a number of tools there that I'm quite happy with.

I don't see that they sell lathe chucks though; and from what I've seen elsewhere, you can pay as much or more for a chuck as one might spend for the lathe itself (especially an HF bench top lathe). What is recommended for a small starter chuck?

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011

The HF bench top came with 2 live tail stocks. I’m using a MT2 mandrel, so I know the head is MT2. Grizzly has some nice chucks.

the 1”” 8 tpi head can also be adapted to take a nova chuck if you like spending money.

ive only turned a half dozen pens so far..... but generally pleased. There’s things I would NIT get at HF..... but this lathe is decent for the dough
              Last edited by durango dude; 01-27-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Taig has a 4 jaw chuck (1 inch fitting) for $20. plus shipping. Taig was asked to make a whole slew of these several years ago with 1 inch fittings and then got stuck with them. Most smaller lathes, including Taig have 3/4 inch fittings. I have one and I have adapters so that I can use it on smaller lathes.

Hank Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

CW, I've had good luck with the PSI chucks - this "economy" chuck has worked fine for me: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CUG3418CCX.html Then there's this one that uses a key: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000C.html
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...