• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Ryobi 40V tool power

I purchased the Ryobi 40V hedge trimmer last week (for $99 with battery and charger) to use at my daughter's home in Missouri. It worked well there and I brought it home with me when we returned home. I pulled it out today to trim some shrubbery that has grown quickly in our rainy spring and early summer. The first thing I noticed today was this: I didn't have to struggle starting the gas engine after several months to a year's non-use. Well of course, cordless tools are like that, but does it have enough power? This one, yes. It cuts 1/2" limbs/stalks and has a slight struggle with 5/8" twigs, but does it well enough.

I ordered a 40V blower yesterday (No battery or charger, since I already have one each), primarily to use to clean the gutters but also for blowing leaves, twigs and grass off of the driveway. This spring we have had more winds that has blown twigs and even green leaves from trees all over our driveways, more than I can remember happening before.

Again, it sure is nice not struggling with starting. I can sure tell I am 70 when it comes to pull starting. I have a 4 year old husqvarna 22 in push mower for yard trimming and that is the ONLY gas engine yard tool that is easy to start, every time, even after winter. I get aggravated when I watch Alaska or other homestead shows in which they start their Stihl chain saws on one pull (sometimes 2). I have had a Stihl for 12 years and it has never been easy for me, and they are supposed to be one of the best and easiest to start. When I struggle with starting gas blowers, trimmers, chain saws etc, They usually start in 2 to 4 pulls, (my Stihl chain saw starts in about 6 to 8) but pull starting is a pain in my arms and shoulders. Arthritis is pain!

What I really wanted the 40V Blower for - is to clean the gutters, as I hate having to pull start the blower when I am standing on the roof. LOML wants one she can use to clean the driveway and not have to wait on me!

Does anyone else use blowers to clean gutters?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Originally posted by leehljp
    I have the Ryobi 18v blower (the one that is battery only; Ryobi also makes a dual battery or A/C cord powered version) for dusting out the shop and patio areas... never thought about using on the gutters. Will give it a try though. I considered making a "U" shaped end for my shop vac hose since I have several straight extension pieces; I can reach the gutters while standing on the ground. With the hose plugged into the vac's outlet it makes a good blower.

I also have the 18v hedge trimmer for when the neighbor's ivy crawls over the wall and starts invading. Works well; even better than a 20+ year old Craftsman plug-in model that I used to use. A lot more convenient than my old corded trimmer too. I have plenty of the Ryobi 18v high capacity batteries so run-time isn't a concern.

mpc

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by leehljp
      Do you get on your roof or do it from a ladder? I've seen people rig up a periscope shaped PVC tubing rig connected to their blower and blow out the gutters while standing on the ground.

I put gutter covers on years ago. I'm probably fooling myself, but the squirrels seem to love them.

Comment

Working...