• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

HF 34706 Lathe - Change stock belt to Link belt

I needed to change out the stock belt on my Harbor Freight 12x36 lathe (34706) and decided to try a link-belt. Having already verified that 3L240 was the correct replacement, I found a 3L (3/8in) V Link belt from "Power Twist" (available from Fenner Drive, Grizzly, etc.) and put together a short video of the process, which I'm attaching here. There are links to the correct belts from Fenner and Grizzly in the "notes' under the video. Hope this helps any other 34706 owners looking to switch to link belts (I know there are a number of us on here.) Thanks for watching!
    Bill in Buena Park
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Do you notice any differences in the change out? Quiter? Vibration? Operation?

Just curious. I did notice the difference in my DP when I changed it out several years ago - Both quieter and less vibration.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Hank, to my ear the lathe does sound quieter and runs smoother, but I don't have any equipment to test that. The old belt was getting worn and I think making more noise and I heard that rubber belts in general don't last as long, so I thought I would try the link belt. I bought spare pulleys because I hear that they wear quickly, but mine appear to be in like new condition. I hope the link belt being more durable doesn't also cause faster wear on the pulleys, but only time will tell.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I am not one that demands test equipment, just personal experience and perceptions. That is good enough for me from friends!

It definitely made a difference on my DP.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I am surprised that the link belt works with the Reeves Drive Pulley System, didn't think it would. Great to know, thanks!

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Great video Bill. Like gerti, I didn't realize you could use a Link Belt on the Reeves System. But, I guess, in your video, you proved that you can. Please let us know in the future how this continues to perform. Thanks.
            Richard

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Thanks Richard. I did a turning yesterday that I hope to post the video on tomorrow, and the lathe ran more smoothly than previously, but it was spindle turning, and I suspect the real test will come when I can mount a good-sized bowl blank and give it a go.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• havighurst
                Established Member
                • Jun 2004
                • Metamora, MI, USA.

Thanks for posting. I need to get a new belt, and this gave me another option that I had not considered.
                \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

Working...