X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Ditching Ryobi

Well, I've had two really new Li-Ion batteries completely fail in the last week or so. Two different models, bought at different times. These are just about the newest ones I have, although I couldn't date them accurately (I should do that going forward on the battery). I've been a big Ryobi fan, starting out with the blue 18v One+ set as my first tools back in 2008. I had gotten quite a few: the circ saw, four drills, recip saw, rotary saw, trim router, multiple radios and fans, yard tools, and more.

But with two batteries dying well before their time, I'm not sure how much more I'm going to invest in batteries. I had one die before, but that was because of cold weather. High 80s in the shop isn't enough to kill batteries. I've not had any need for tools in awhile, at least cordless, but I did buy a set of 12v Bosch drivers a few months ago. I think I'm going to switch to those exclusively, and look to get the drill to match.

With the shenanigans I've seen about Ridgid's battery warranty lately, I have to wonder what is going on over at TTI. I defended my use of Ryobi for years, but I can't keep investing money in batteries that don't live their advertised lives.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

When I get something like that, I get irritated too. I loved my Porter Cable 14.4 Drill driver I purchased in 2000. That thing was powerful. I put a 1/4 inch drive on it and a socket to a stuck bolt. I wasn't prepared for the torq. Sprained my wrist! It was good while it lasted. I got back to Japan and had two batteries. One went down to about 20% capacity in a year and the other lasted 3 years total. The PC was an expensive dude.

AS to the blue Ryobi batteries, they did for me what your Li-Ion batteries did. I had 8 blue ones over 8 years and they lasted about 1 1/2 to 2 years max each. My Li-Ions - I still have the first one I bought 5 years ago and it is just as powerful today as it was then.

I have three chargers, two came with sets, but I only use the purchased one that manages the charge. Which charger do you use? I have used the other two only once or twice in a pinch. Still, if it is the charger that is killing the batteries, Ryobi ought to know better.

LOML has a cordless vac (Hoover Linx) with Li-Ion and it gets some pretty good reviews from some, and a RAVE from LOML. She has had it 3 years and it works great. One problem is some people leave the batteries in the charger when not in use - and it greatly shortens their battery life. There are complaints on that.
    It seems that I read somewhere that there is a difference in the chargers that come with the Ryobi tools and the one that has to be purchased. Some chargers require you to not leave Li-Ions in, and yet some have circuitry to manage the charge even if left in it for days.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I have several of the included chargers, plus the six port supercharger. I'm not sure how the batteries got down below the unrecoverable limit, but they did. All of them are rated for both kinds f batteries, I threw out the really old charger that was only rated for NiCds.

The other thing that irritates me is I was thinking about getting the hybrid fan, the one that can use the battery or plug in. This was an idea I advanced to them years ago, and they are finally doing it. They don't even include a cord, not even one that was a foot long. Makes a $40 purchase more like $50.

I may see if the local battery place can rebuild one or both, and for how much. I've still got five working Lithiums and two NiCds (the originals from 2008) available. The NiCds were retired to the house, but they still hold enough charge to do housework.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Same company, but I'm vowed long ago that if I were ever going 'cordless' it would be with Ridgid and their free-replacement under the LLSA that they offer with proper registration. Subsequently, with one exception, the cordless tools that I have are the Ridgid 14.4-V 3/8 drill and impact drivers, 18-V circular saw and 1/2 hammer drill and the 9.6-V pivot screwdriver which all work very well with the original NiCad batteries (purchased in 2005). While I do have the Ridgid compact 3/8 drill and Job-Max, they are terrible and I wish that I had never bought either of them as they are totally worthless today. Their 12-V compact lithiums have never held up and even the replacements suck.

The exception is my little Ryobi 4-V with it's lithium "Tek 4" cartridges. Not sure how old these things are, but the batteries are fantastic. I use that little drill quite a bit because it's so handy. I also have the inspection scope, LED light, and radio. Don't use the latter much, but LED light is used almost daily.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dangre
          Norum Fewbie
          • Oct 2009
          • Gardnerville, NV
          • BT3100-1

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be the 6 port supercharger. I've also been a big fan of the Ryobi One+ line. A number of years ago I also had batteries crapping on me. Searched the net high and wide and found many people had the problem if they left the batteries in the supercharger while on, so as to always have them topped off. Solution was to turn the charger off every week or so. I turned it off when the charging was done. That worked. For a while. Then the batteries started draining if left in the charger, even though it was off. Well, crapola! I now remove the batteries from the supercharger when they are done charging and haven't had a problem or lost a battery since, and its been about 4 years now. I have two of the superchargers and both exhibit the same problem. Apparently something breaks down or wears out, but that was my solution.
          Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I do not have the supercharger, just 2 regular chargers, both wall mounted. I don't leave batteries in them if they are charged but neither do I rush to get them out. If I notice them in the charger and charged I pull them. I have the original 3 lithium ions I got. I need to get a couple bigger ones. My lawn tools drain the small batteries pretty fast. The saws do too but I don't use then as much as the string trimmer and bush trimmer.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

When nicads first came into widespead popularity back in the late 70's, I started using AA nicads in my photo flash units. GE was probably the most popular brand of the time with their integral 4 battery 'wall wart' charger. They recommended leaving the batteries in all the time. I quickly found out that that was a good way to sell a lot of batteries, as the charger would ' cook' the chemistry worthlessly dry within a relatively short time.

Once I realized that, I started removing the batteries immediately after the prescribed time and got significantly more life out of them.

(I'm not sure if NiMh or Li-Ion batteries are effected in the same way, but most modern chargers have regulating circuitry to minimize his problem,as I understand it.)

Leaving the batteries in an unplugged or 'off' charger will drain the batteries, as the battery terminals are still connected to at least part of the charger circuitry.
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• gjat
                • Nov 2005
                • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                • BT3100

Many years ago, I wanted my crews to have practically disposable cordless drills to mix gallons of sealant for road sensors. Sticky stuff that would ruin a drill long before wearing out. I bought cheap harbor freights. Somebody on this site or somewhere on the 'net cautioned about leaving cheap batteries on the charger over the weekend or worse. I rigged up a cheap time with just the OFF trigger at the shop and at home. I'll plug in a few chargers to a power strip, spin the timer to let it charge 6 hours or so. It turns off and stays off.
                I have Ryobi batteries that are many years old that work fine. The ones at least 10 years don't last very long, but good for quick fixes. The HF batteries last longer than the actual drill, but no clear idea how long. They do eventually fail, but we always had more batteries than drills.
                Plus I'm much more comfortable not having a battery powered and charging for a week or two because I forgot about it and haven't been in the shop. Of course, I take the batteries out when (I mean if) I remember.
                YMMV, but I think that may help. Although, I had some Skill battery tools that the LI batteries didn't last for more than a year or two.
                Last edited by gjat; 09-06-2016, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Although I still love my BT3100, I've always considered Ryobi right up there with Harbor Freight in terms of overall quality. That said, I have a HF drill press and bandsaw so I don't look down on either brand. But in general I don't look to Ryobi for high quality.

I've had excellent luck with Ridgid tools, but I haven't used any of their cordless ones. I've had Makita for that and had decent luck.

Comment

Working...