• Show
Clear All
  • jon_ramp
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • western Chicago burb
    • Craftsman 21829

Ridgid jointer

Will soon be selling my Ridgid jointer as I have a Makita 2040 and don't need both. It has hardly been used as I acquired the 2040 shortly after I got it. What would be a reasonable price to ask for it in the Chicago market? If you're in the area and interested in purchasing or trade with a miter or band saw, send me a p.m.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Just a data point - I picked one up in the Chicago area for $350 a couple years ago. I may have paid a little too much as it was from a friend, but that gives you a ballpark figure.

I love the Ridgid jointer.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

In my area it'd probably go for somewhere in the $250-$300 range. It depends on condition, and the market mood on any given day. Clean it up, take some good pics, and describe it well....ya might get more....
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Mine was like new with all accessories... I just polished it up and had the knives sharpened although the seller assured me I really wouldn't need to since it wasn't used that much. But I figured it would be good to start with known-good knives.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

If it really is like new, polished, sharp and true and comes with a case of beer that price might be OK but seems a little high to me. In most markets its also a case of supply and demand. if they are rarely available and get snapped up quick then you can stay on the high end. If CL is flooded with them and they dont move then you know what you have to do.

My idea of pricing on jointers may be a little skewed as I will admit I am one of those annoying folks that picked up one of the last real Delta jointers when Lowes was dumping their stock. And I think it had some inconsequential part missing so got an extra discount. I think I paid ~$85!
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by jon_ramp
            Will soon be selling my Ridgid jointer as I have a Makita 2040
            Did you mean a 2030? IIRC, the 2040 was a 15" planer only, the 2030 is a 6" jointer and 12" plane combination.

Have you had issues with the polyurethane on the feed rollers disintegrating? Mine did, when they were maybe 20 years old. If so, how did you repair it?
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I have the Ridgid Jointer and love it. I bought mine from the local HD when they were clearing the stationary stock in the store. Got it NIB for $350. Today HD is asking $599 for it.

What would I sell it for? At it's present 'like new' condition, I'd ask $300 with a new extra set of blades thrown in, but I'm not interested in selling mine. While one might think that may be priced high, I think you have to ask yourself where can anyone buy anything close to this quality at this price... new or used.

The Ridgid Jointer is a sustantially-built machine with an excellent reputation. $300 for a good condition jointer of this caliber is a bargain, IMHO.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jon_ramp
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • western Chicago burb
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by woodturner
                Did you mean a 2030? IIRC, the 2040 was a 15" planer only, the 2030 is a 6" jointer and 12" plane combination.

Have you had issues with the polyurethane on the feed rollers disintegrating? Mine did, when they were maybe 20 years old. If so, how did you repair it?
                Woodturner, you're right, I have a 2030N not a 2040. The feed rollers on mine are fine and I am fairly certain they had been replaced prior to me buying the machine. When the time comes, westernrollers.com and feedrollers.com both sell new and will refurbish existing rollers.

Comment

Working...