• Show
Clear All
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Harbor Freight drill presses

I'm in the market for a bench top drill press. Does anyone have the low end Harbor Freight ones? I have coupons for both the 5 & 10 speed ones. I am mainly interested in any run out problems, and depth stop accuracy. I would appreciate ny help. Thanks!
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

I have the cheapest 8 inch model and it works great for what it is. I have not noticed any runout but I don't use it that much. It has plenty of power if you go slow. I have never used the depth stop, but it is just two nuts that tighten for the stop. I would not trust it thought as vibration would loosen it. I have used this drill press for drilling 1 3/8 inch holes for hinges and it works ok using a sharp bit and slow speed. I got mine about 10 years ago for $40. I am not sure what the price is now, but for the money you can't beat it.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Pretty much the same reply as above. I've owned two. The first one accidentally fell off my bench and landed on its head and died. I replaced it with the same one.

I do use the depth stop but setting it is a pain. I usually get it close, lock it in, but then find it easier to loosen the table clamp and knudge it up or down to the right position.

Can't say I've noticed a lot of runout but the DP is one of my least used machines. I also use it to bore 35mm holes for hinges. Handles that just fine.

I can't complain for the money. We have a slightly larger Jet at the machine shop at work. It is definitely a quality machine but also costs 8x more. It also drills holes. If I was was a jigs and fixtures guy, I'd probably want something like the Jet, but for the occasional hinge bore or for cutting wood plugs or sometimes an accurately located hole not achieved by a hand drill, it does the job.

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I used an 8" HF for awhile and it was ok. Nothing special. Depth stop was a pain. I upgraded to the 12" Ryobi and it's one of my favorite tools. The difference is huge--obviously in size, but in quality and convenience.

Of course, they no longer make it, but I'd look on CL for one or a similar one.
        Joe

Comment

• schloff
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Southern Middle TN
          • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

I've had one for many years now, a very old, crude early model. I've upgraded to a floor model as my work horse, and use my HF machine as a dedicated drum sander now. Still works like a charm, after 20 or so years.

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

Thanks for the replies! I have looked also at the current Ryobi model, but I've seen many bad reviews on the depth stop. I guess it's plastic and breaks off easily. There are 2 Home Depots near me. One has no display and the other one does not have the depth stop assembled.
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...