Bother with a regulator on my air compressor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Bother with a regulator on my air compressor?

Years ago I added a regulator/oiler to my 2HP/5gallon compressor. I don't even see it on the HF website anymore. It had a red aluminum housing with two chambers.

Anyway, recently I noticed it would cycle even though I wasn't using it (I only turn it on when I'm using it) and after I shut it off and came back to it, all the air had leaked out. Then I heard a hissing noise and traced it back to this regulator contraption.

Honestly, I don't even remember why I bought this thing. Maybe because the compressor sits inside my workbench and I didn't want to reach inside to adjust the air flow. However, I don't think I've ever regulated the air--just kept it max this whole time.

So should I bother replacing this regulator? I'm only using it to drive some nail guns, fill up my car tires, and very rarely use it on my impact gun.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

First off, are you sure that it's the regulator that's hissing? No disrespect intended, but it sounds to me like you've never bothered with this compressor much and I'm concerned about the maintenance, or lack thereof. Every time you use that compressor, you introduce condensate into those tanks, and IF you've never drained that moisture, I'm concerned with how much corrosion may have taken place. (While some compressor will just spring a leak, some may very well just blow apart... you don't want to be present if that happens!!!!)

So, my first concern would be to check out that tank (or tanks, by your description)! While you're at it, check those safety valves too, and also the compressor's pressure switch, making sure that it is shutting off at the correct working pressure.

You didn't mention how high the pressure goes on this tank and more importantly, what are you using it for. Really old compressors mostly maxed out at 100 or 125 psi, but newer compressors can be up in the range of 150 to 175 psi. If it's just for blowing off the bench and the tools on occasion, then I guess you really don't need a regulator, though I personally don't like to use maximum pressure for blowing debris around, as it's dangerous. For cleaning tasks, I usually regulate mine down to 40 or 50 psi.

Your compressor is really too small for spraying finishes, but you could run an airbrush or small spotting gun to some degree. You'd definitely need a regulator for that, as only 40-50 psi is usually required. Running a nail gun requires about 90 psi, so even most old compressors would require a regulator to bring the 100 psi down to 90, although that small difference may be negligible.... still, I like to keep my pressure regulated to the tool manufacturers suggested setting.

If you're using a compressor that is capable of 125 psi or more, then you will definitely need a regulator to bring the pressure down to the tool's requirements.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cwsmith
      First off, are you sure that it's the regulator that's hissing? No disrespect intended, but it sounds to me like you've never bothered with this compressor much and I'm concerned about the maintenance, or lack thereof. Every time you use that compressor, you introduce condensate into those tanks, and IF you've never drained that moisture, I'm concerned with how much corrosion may have taken place. (While some compressor will just spring a leak, some may very well just blow apart... you don't want to be present if that happens!!!!)
      Yes, definitely sure it was the regulator. There's a pressure relief valve on the bottom of one of the plastic bells that was leaking air.

I have one of those automatic condensate drains screwed into the bottom of this tank, too, and I do periodically check that it's dry which it is. I also periodically check the oil level but have never drained it.

Originally posted by cwsmith
      So, my first concern would be to check out that tank (or tanks, by your description)! While you're at it, check those safety valves too, and also the compressor's pressure switch, making sure that it is shutting off at the correct working pressure.
      The compressor goes up to 110psi. I tried spraying with it a couple of times and yes, it's too small for that so I have a turbine for spraying. It sees pretty minimal use just for nail guns and filling tires. I forgot to mention the blow gun for dust which I don't do too much as I prefer a brush and dust pan.

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

Definitely replace the regulator if that's what is at fault. There maybe a time you will need only 25 psi, or as my tool manual's recommend at 90-100 psi. It is a good thing to have on your compressor if and when you may need to adjust.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          Yes, definitely sure it was the regulator. There's a pressure relief valve on the bottom of one of the plastic bells that was leaking air.
          Not sure if yours is the same model as mine, but I had a HF one in red too. If think I was able to take my leaking filter and oiler chambers off and use just the regulator, they were all connected with threaded fittings.
          Erik

Comment

Working...